Originally Posted By: Dave in Maine

In my most recent transaction I had to change FFLs because my regular FFL had taken quite ill. The "new" FFL is someone I'm well acquainted with. He would not give me a copy of his FFL to send to the seller. We talked about it for a while. He advised his reason was that there have been reports of people getting a blue signature FFL from a legit FFL, then going to a seller with that document after modifying it (probably involving a scanner or color copier) to change the address on the document to the buyer's - not the FFL's - address. The shipment then goes direct to the buyer's address, the FFL never sees the gun, and away we go. If the FFL ever asks the buyer, he tells the FFL the deal fell through (and can even give back the blue signature document, if needed).

That's bullshit. All the shipping FFL has to do is run a BATF "FFL EZ Check" and verify the shipping address of the FFL. If the copy sent has been altered the shipping FFL can see it instantly and report it to the BATFE. I just checked my FFL and it came back with his correct shipping address - since I was already sitting at the computer it took less than 30 seconds to Google the BATFE "FFL EZ Check" and look up the information. This is not available for C&R licenses - and therefore is probably the reason that some FFL's won't ship to C&R licensees.

I don't buy large numbers of guns across state lines but when I do it's frequently "spur of the moment" so my FFL gives me a scan of his current FFL to keep on my computer to send when the urge arises. I've never had a problem and he charges a $25 transfer fee, which is reasonable for the amount of time that it takes to do the transfer - and it's quicker than most since both my wife and I have concealed weapons permits and don't require a NICS background check. His cooperation has been handy because the last firearm that I bought was a handgun that arrived 5 days after I FedExed the funds.

I don't do business with anyone who bullshits me.