June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, jake van dyke, 3 invisible), 273 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,574
Posts546,511
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#394800 02/18/15 08:26 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My local gunsmith once said to me that if one finds an old double in decent shape, chances are that it came from the west; being that barbed wire fences were fewer and far between. Anyone share this observation?

Sidelock
Sidelock

i can't say that much if any of the damage i have seen on doubles screams barb wire to me

Sidelock
Sidelock

Unfortunately the Bubba Gene seems equally distributed to all corners of the Republic. I'd take my chances with a bobwire fence any day over an enthusiast with a "one size fits all" screwdriver and no Kroil....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nothin' out here to scratch up a stock

Easy walking too

Tough if you happen to fall though wink

Sidelock
Sidelock

Or did he mean Kansas? Courtesy of Phil Yearout, in Trego County

Gotta mind the post rocks though

Sidelock
Sidelock

I watched my Grandfather mash down the second strand of the bob-wire fences that used to punctuate middle Ga with his Browning 16ga A-5. He did it in order to step through the fence as if it were not there. I learned the technique honestly by observation of an outdoorsman I have ever labored to emulate. I have never achieved his stature as a man, but I have left wire marks upon a number of my own guns...Geo

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 02/18/15 10:17 PM. Reason: added picture
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am with drew. Most of the places I hunt in AZ only have about 10 percent soil, the rest is rock. Staying upright is the first priority and when you fall avoid the cholla! About the only thing worse than walking through those rock canyons is riding a horse hunting up cows. If a horse wasn't raised in that stuff don't get on him because he is going to be upside down and you with him in short order.

Last edited by Jerry V Lape; 02/19/15 01:34 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm told that in some midwest states, a lot of hunters would hold down the top strand of barbed wire with the forearm of their guns while crossing. I got that as an explanation of why I've seen so many guns with forearm wood that looked like a beaver chewed it.

In my state, I've observed most guys pressing down the top strand with the gun's buttplate... which might explain very worn and scratched buttplates on otherwise decent looking guns. No doubt there are more fences to cross in the East, but there are lots of ways people find to abuse their guns.

I usually use my hand on the top fence strand, and save the buttplate, except on electric fences. A word of advice: Don't let that wire slip while you are straddling an electric fence. If you do it in the East, they will hear you out West.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith
I'm told that in some midwest states, a lot of hunters would hold down the top strand of barbed wire with the forearm of their guns while crossing. I got that as an explanation of why I've seen so many guns with forearm wood that looked like a beaver chewed it.

In my state, I've observed most guys pressing down the top strand with the gun's buttplate... which might explain very worn and scratched buttplates on otherwise decent looking guns. No doubt there are more fences to cross in the East, but there are lots of ways people find to abuse their guns.

I usually use my hand on the top fence strand, and save the buttplate, except on electric fences. A word of advice: Don't let that wire slip while you are straddling an electric fence. If you do it in the East, they will hear you out West.

Brings back bad bad memories.

Two years ago crossing an electrified fence that was placed about 1" inside of a barbed wire fence in the dark while turkey hunting. There were no cows in there, so the owner told me the electric fence was off. HE WAS WRONG frown

Anyway, got a late start and the birds were gobbling as I was trying to hustle across the fence. Had slid the shotgun under the fence and was trying to climb across. No light being used (bird gobbling didn't wan't to give away my position). Standing on the second strand of the barbed wire fence and then swung my other leg over so it was on the inside on that same second strand. Then swung my first leg over so now I'm got both feet on the second strand on the inside of the fence. Then took my one leg and reached for the ground. Leg touched ground and then I tried to step down with the remaining leg off the wire.

Remaining leg catches on barbed wire, I loose by balance and fall over. While falling over the leg caught in the barbed wire is now resting against the electric fence. Not a big deal in my mind as I just need to free my leg and the fence isn't hot anyway. WRONG. Then the first jolt hits me.

Many folks don't realize an electric fence essentially pulses. One shot of juice and then a half second break and then another shot of juice.

Now I realize I'm in trouble. I'm on the ground, leg in the air caught on the barbed wire fence and that leg is resting against an electric fence. I try to jerk my leg off the fence, but I can't, so I just get shocked and shocked and shocked. Now these fences are made to keep cows in that have lots of fur, so they are juiced up to get a cows attention. With lightweight pants on I have zero protection, so I'm doing the dance. I scream and then laugh (it's a bit funny) and then I get hit by another shot of juice and I scream again. Eventually more screaming then laughing.

I'm digging around in my pocket in the dark trying to find my knife and finally free it and rip it open and cut my pants free from the wire and hit the ground and its over.

PS. Never did get to the turkey. I was a pretty much a wreck by the time it was over and just went and sat in the woods and tried to get myself back together.

foxes rule
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

George, that photo of your granddad never gets old. Gil

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.