June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, Dan S. W., SKB, Tom Shaffer, 1 invisible), 368 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,574
Posts546,491
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Someone on this remarkable board (I think it may have been Rocketman, aka Don Amos) said that all of us double gun enthusiasts fall somewhere on the continum of shooters, shooting collectors and straight collectors. I find myself in the middle.

I buy because it is is clever, pretty or interesting but only keep it if I find that I can shoot it reasonably well. I have found a good local stock man so I am not afraid to have most anything bent to my dimensions.

So I find my collection to be somewhat like a bag of golf clubs. There are at least a dozen different wing shooting and target pursuits and I have enjoyed filling each of those niches with a SxS that best lends itself to each venue. A great trap gun, a doubles trap gun, a perfect wild quail gun, a true waterfowler and a number of guns that can cover a number functions, modern and antique versions. You get the picture.... I can almost always find a good excuse to buy another pretty SxS!

All that said, I Iike old colonel's question, if one had to clean out the safe(s), what would be the last to go? Choosing function over beauty, the antiques would head to Julia's. Assuming that I am still healthy and able to chase feathers, 3 guns would stay: a 28 bore AYA #2 with 29" barrels for quail and dove, a self opening AYA Model 53 16 bore with 28" barrels for wild quail, pheasant and western prairie birds, and a 12 bore Betts Birmy BLNE waterfowler proofed at 1.5 oz with 3" chambers and 30" barrels weighing just under 8 lbs. These three also cover the target games well and none weigh less than 6lbs.

Thanks old colonel for posing a question that made me take stock in my hobby!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Tedd
I feel guns are like good art, who only wants one painting?If I can't shoot or hunt them I can rub on them and admire them plus they come with a history lesson that you can pass on to others.What else is more important in life than a precision beautiful instrument that will out last its owner and give pleasure to others for generations to come...Tedd
Well said, perhaps like a Steinway or Bosendorffer Grand- timeless- and you can play it too!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

That reminds me of an old joke - the one about American millionaire and a British lord shooting together, the American with an Auto 5 and the Brit with a Holland&Holland. The American kept admiring the Brit's gun until he finally asked how much it cost and the lord answered.
- What's the point in owning such gun? - exclaimed the American - I can buy a thousand of shotguns like mine with this money!
- True - agreed the lord - but what would be the point of buyin a thousand guns. You couldn't shoot them all at the same time, could you?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I remember reading a sci-fi novel, forgot which and by whom, but there was a very smart bit in it about the existence. In terms of existence, a hero said, only three numbers make sense: 0, 1 and infinity. That is, something can not exist at all. Or there can be only one such object (a planet with sapient life, in that instance). But if there can be two of something, there can theoretically be an infinite number of this. I think that applies to gun collecting. The minimum useful number of shotguns is 1. As many said before, a 7 pound 12 gauge will do it all. Once you need more than one, you need an infinity.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The answer to the OP's question (as has been pointed out) is ONE!

But I doubt that anyone posting on this board meets that standard.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe twas me that said one....hard to get less minimal than one..unless zero counts,lol.
But I have a couple more than one.
If I had money, I'd go mental.
Franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

One, and it's manageable with a little more time on the range. Practise. I'm winnowing now and know if I'm bloody-minded and practise my 20-gauge, three-inch SKB Model 500 IC/M will do it all, grouse to geese.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes the answer to the convoluted question of the OP is 1! The fun of the answer then becomes which one in your collection is number 1?

In my collection it would be either a Clabrough sidelock because as well as damascus barrels and nicely engraved I shoot it very well or my MacNaughton which I don't shoot so well yet, but I am working on it.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The last gun to go for me would be the 870 Wingmaster Magnum. Not the prettiest, but the most reliable and the most flexible. CA has completely banned lead ammo for hunting, starting July 2019, so my one gun would have to handle steel and anything else I might feed it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ideal minimum battery? Three eights, four tens, five twelves, six twenties, seven twenty eights. However, I doubt that I could be happy with only eight fourtens. Of course, that only includes hunting guns. Maybe three or four pigeon guns and a couple of tubed skeet guns, and three or four single trap guns. I have not been counting, but that seems like a reasonable minimum battery.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.