Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#391629 01/25/15 05:56 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

OK, like most people I have been told not to shoot damascus-barrelled shotguns unless they have been re-lined with modern steel inserts. But in some of the hunting threads I see that people are apparently doing so. In one case the fellow said it was relined, but in many other photos the guns do not appear to have had this treatment.

So, is the 'conventional wisdom' wrong? If it is safe to shoot some of these old guns, how does one go about testing the gun to determine if it's reasonably safe to use?

'One night as my car was going backwards through a cornfield at 90mph I had an epiphany...'
Sidelock
Sidelock

Welcome Tinker and please check out
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=366087
and
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y52UbLaVsDAYd3BJLNTzTnqa7CzuhnbgonQzuYRuLvs/edit
Scroll down to
Damascus Mythology & Reality
Damascus Quality
Barrel Strength and the 1891 Birmingham Proof House Report
Turn-of-the-Century Shotshells, Powder & Ballistics
Barrel Evaluation Recommendations and Non-Destructive Testing

Then let us know where you are and we might be able to recommend a smith nearby with the interest, equipment and expertise to evaluate your barrels.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Drew; I'm in Seattle, Wa.

'One night as my car was going backwards through a cornfield at 90mph I had an epiphany...'
Sidelock
Sidelock

In spite of the well spread "common knowledge" that damascus barrels are always unsafe, some people have let the the fact slip that this is not always true. Thereby disturbing a perfectly good sleeper market

The fact is - any barrel, no matter the material can be unsafe, and any old gun should be evaluated on it own merits.

Just remember. Hammers are bad too smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Welcome to the "Dark Side". It is very addictive. If you can still maintain some degree of sanity and self-control, be sure and let me know when you run into any of those old, dangerous guns so that I can acquire and then destroy them in order to prevent terrible accidents.

Last edited by Ken61; 01/25/15 06:45 PM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Kody is in the neighborhood, and has some pictures of that scary Damascus stuff on the website smile
http://members.toast.net/keithkearcher/

He's probably returning from the Las Vegas Antique Arms Show

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tinker,
Good afternoon.
Years ago I bought an early 20ga Flues 1-1/2 with ejectors and damascus barrels as a project. The barrels were sent to Keith Kearcher for evaluation and if they looked good, browning. After examination and discussion, Keith browned them and sent them back. A work of art.

I, like you was also concerned about shooting the gun because of how much I valued my fingers, so the gun sat in a corner for a LONG time. Well, I finally got up the nerve to pursue the project and here is what I did.

I dug up a box of Gamebore 2-1/2" x 1oz shells, and checked on line for pressure specs. The specs I found showed 8122psi and since I will be loading 7200 and 6400psi, I used the Gamebore for testing. I put on a pair of welding gloves, and my son wrapped some old leather around my hands and the action. Both hands were on or behind the pistol grip. Then I wrapped my arms around one side of a big pine tree and let her go. It was time consuming but we did this 12 times in each barrel. I have a bore gage so after the first shot from each barrel, we took measurements and compared to the "pre-firing" dimensions. No change was noted.

I am now fairly comfortable that the barrels won't let go with my reduced loads. The gun is heading off tomorrow to be restocked by Bosesguns. Hopefully they will do a good job. Then, off to Turnbull for CC. It should be a good looking old girl when done. I'm sure I will be upside down in it cost wise, but if it come out right, I'll be happy.

Hillbilly perhaps, but the best I could come up with short of sending them to the UK for proofing. Don't know if that is even an option. Drew has a lot of good info. Read thru what he noted above and make your own decision.

Hope this helps,
Ithaca1
Bill

Last edited by ithaca1; 01/25/15 06:57 PM.

Bill Johnson
Sidelock
Sidelock

A great many of us shoot our Damascus and Twist barreled guns on a regular basis. As has been stated already, any type of barrel steel CAN be unsafe to shoot - it all depends on the condition of the barrels. In fact, a good number of shotgun manufacturers proofed their Damascus barreled guns with nitro powder. Have your barrels checked and measured by an expert and then have fun shooting them!

Last edited by DAM16SXS; 01/25/15 06:50 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Wow- interesting reading. When theory and real world results are in conflict it's never reality that is wrong. Damascus barrels appear to be subject to exactly the same failure conditions as homogenous steel barrels- overpressure and obstructions. Another myth bites the dust...

Given my experiences with various prejudices in the knife and sword-making industry I suppose that I should not be surprised. My lovely wife heard this and said, "Well, I suppose that we'll just have to find a nice damascus gun for you." Yeah, she's a keeper.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If in doubt, you can always use the "Firestone Proof" technique.

I use the 8,000 psi AA Xtra-Lite 1oz. loads if I proof. For normal loads I either shoot 6,500 psi 1oz. reloads, or AA Low Noise-Low Recoil (6,200 psi) 7/8 oz. loads for regular shooting.

Last edited by Ken61; 01/25/15 08:06 PM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.