June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
3 members (BGlass, steve f, Owenjj3), 279 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,616
Posts547,045
Members14,428
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
GaryW #390199 01/12/15 09:17 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

FWIW: There are many more AyAs out there than Arrietas (bigger verses much smaller company). Both can build wonderful guns, but each gun is going to be a little different (built to a pattern, but handmade, and over time processes and people change!). I've owned an Arrieta sidelock for over 15-years and have no complaints. It's a New England Arms 557 and it was my very first "fine" gun. It was a very good place to start. I now wish it was an 800 series gun, but it suited my pocketbook at the time. It fits me so-well, I'd never part with it. Spanish guns do seem to devalue about the same rate new cars do, so a good used one is almost always a better value. Doverham's suggestion about the no-name Arrietas is a good one, with the caveat that the ones I've seen weren't as attractive to me as the Branded versions.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 01/12/15 09:19 PM.
GaryW #390204 01/12/15 10:50 PM
JNW Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Used Spanish guns are a great value, but they do have several significant drawbacks. 1) you may have trouble finding a gun that has all the bells and whistles you want; 2) getting a used gun that fits you really well is tough unless you shoot standard dimensions; 3) buying used means you're buying someone else's custom gun, not YOURS. I would get a new Arietta if I was in your shoes. I have seen 3 of them that have been shot a lot and they all have worked perfectly. It is also much more pleasant to deal with a smaller gunmaker.
Regards,
Jeff

"We are men of action. Lies do not become us."
Wesley
Doverham #390220 01/13/15 12:32 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Doverham
Don' t buy either new unless you absolutely need a bespoke gun - Spanish guns have experienced a lot of price inflation recently for various reasons, and an equivalent used gun in 99% condition may cost 30-40% less.

What is your budget - that will affect the answer to some degree. Also, there are a lot of Arrietas out there with Orvis or G&H markings. Often, those guns go for less even though they came from the same factory.

I agree completely, your dollar will go much farther in the used market on spanish guns. Further if you find the prefect gun you long for is not the custom one you paid top dollar for, the used gun will sell at a much lower loss. I look at gun buys as rentals. The rent on a used gun is less than new by a huge delta.

Don't focus on name in the used market, focus on the individual gun, its quality, its features. All the big spanish names make some good examples and a few not so good. Consider a Older good condition Belgian or Italian gun as there can be some great values there if you are buying the gun and not the name.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Doverham #390226 01/13/15 02:09 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Doverham
Don' t buy either new unless you absolutely need a bespoke gun - Spanish guns have experienced a lot of price inflation recently for various reasons, and an equivalent used gun in 99% condition may cost 30-40% less.

In the UK both are regarded as (probably equally) good guns. You can certainly have an AyA customised to what you want, but as above there is MUCH better value to be had second hand. Here there is more choice of AyA guns.

What I did was bought a used (1970s, but little used) AyA No 1 that had the basic specification I wanted (double trigger, straight hand well figured stock, 28" barrels) and had it fitted for me by alteration to it's existing stock dimensions.

I ended up with a fairly high grade bespoke gun at a lower price than a current standard No 2 would be new.

Sidelock
Sidelock

For the last 9 years I've shot a 16 #2 AyA almost exclusively for upland birds. The gun has been fitted to me and I've never had a problem. For moi, the weight, balance and ease of mounting has made my AyA an all time favorite.

Jim
GaryW #390294 01/13/15 03:59 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

John I have an AyA number 1 from about the same period; 1969. I understand the Number 1's at that time were engraved and hardened here in England. Mine is a two barrel set Imp/cyl x 1/2 choke and 1/2 choke and full. Unfortunately it has a single trigger. Good buys second hand but devilishly expensive new. True a good used Number 1 is a lot less than a new Number 2. I paid £3,500 and it is in about 90% condition. Arrietas are good but there are many models at different prices. Lagopus.....

GaryW #390298 01/13/15 04:17 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

If I´m going to buy spanish shotgun I wouldn´t take neither AYA or Arrieta. My choice would be Armas Garbi. They make whole gun with hand, no CNC -machines, just high skilled gunsmiths with their tools.

http://www.armasgarbi.com/

Igorrock #390309 01/13/15 06:55 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Igorrock
If I´m going to buy spanish shotgun I wouldn´t take neither AYA or Arrieta. My choice would be Armas Garbi. They make whole gun with hand, no CNC -machines, just high skilled gunsmiths with their tools.

http://www.armasgarbi.com/

Igorrock, please excuse me if I am mistaken, but your post insinuates that AyA and Arrieta build their guns with the aid of CNC machines, not that that is a bad thing, but where did you come up with that revelation?

Wild Skies
Since 1951
Sidelock
Sidelock

I decided I "needed" a AyA 4/53 and was close to paying 4k for one new. Since shopping is most of the fun of acquiring a new gun anyway I made a list of what I wanted (features, dimensions....) and waited until I found one.
I saved over a grand on a gun that could have passed for new. If you are shopping several different makers just don't include that detail on your list of what you are looking for.
The hard part is not buying a gun that is almost what you want, but holding out for the right one.
I don't have any experience with Arrieta to compare, but I am very pleased with my AyA.
CHAZ

GaryW #390334 01/13/15 11:32 PM
GaryW Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you all for the input, great pictures, and advice. It's not something I'm going to rush into. I want to look at and handle some of each before deciding I can't live without a Spanish sidelock. (one of Uncle Joe Wood's Parkers will probably find a home with me before I acquire an AYA, Arrieta, or any of the others)

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.