June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
8 members (M&M, LGF, DaveB, buckstix, 2 invisible), 457 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,616
Posts547,044
Members14,428
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Checking through what I have it seems likely that Greeners have the book with your serial number in. Some Needham books were lost but I think you will be in luck with 1830. Nice; no, very nice, example. English singles are not as common as you may think. I would suspect it is black powder proof unless later proofed for nitro. They are usually quite thick at the breech being a single and usually pass without a hitch. I should just seek advice on yours from a respectable gunsmith. Just to give some idea. I had a single 16 bore BP proof gun that had been re-chambered to 12 bore and re-proofed for nitro. They are usually stronger than doubles. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

George, after Gary sent me the pictures I had to have a serious talk with myself not to buy it. I already have two singles--a 16 and a 12 and just love them! Yours is in much better condition than mine. They are incredibly comfortable to carry and are great partridge guns.....who really needs the second shot? smile Surely not you.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Joe Wood #319138 03/27/13 04:19 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
...who really needs the second shot? smile Surely not you.

Well, not if i can get the truck window down fast enough...Geo

PeteM #319170 03/27/13 08:14 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

PeteM
I was impressed by your excellent review of J.V.Needham. Over the years various articles have reviewed Needham,s relationship with gunmaker George Hinton,here are some of the points raised by others.
In The British Shotgun,Vol;2 by David J. Baker and I.M.Crudgington,On Pages 174&175 there is a review of the ejectors patented by Joseph Needham.According to I.M.Crudgington; a gunmaker by the name of George Hinton [Active as an independent maker at 88 1/2 Aston Street Birmingham,circa 1867]Who joined Needham and worked there for 20 or more years and is believed to have played an important role in perfecting Needhams ejector patent.In any event it would seem that Needham shared the royalties from the patent with George Hinton. By 1885 Hinton,s income was enough to allow him to relocate from Birmingham and purchase the business of George Sheppard a gunmaker of of Taunton.
Hinton is recorded as being in business under his own name at
5,Fore Street,Taunton for more than 40 years.
Boothroyd also records," That George Hinton was the first "maker" of the origional ejector!"

Roy Hebbes
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
...who really needs the second shot? smile Surely not you.

Well, not if i can get the truck window down fast enough...Geo

Your South Georgia shooting brake has windows???

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very good Roy! Thank you.

Pete

Boxlock
Boxlock

Pete, Loved your complete description of the JV Needham. I am a gun dealer in California and have been asked to sell a JV Needham with a damasks barrel, but I know nothing about them. Could you help me out on this? Sorry, I have pictures in my computer, but am new to this site and haven't learned to upload them The s.n. is 10013 and all the parts match this number. The gun is a De Luxe model. If you drop me an e-mail I can send you pictures

Thank you in advance.
Frank

frank@anthonysguns.com

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
I've always thought the British single shot hammer-guns were elegant and that one might make a striking squirrel gun for a country squire like myself. I recently found one for sale on GI in 16ga. It has a 31" barrel and weighs in at 5lb 3oz. It is a J.V.Needham of Birmingham and the serial number looks like 1830. Anyone have an idea about date of manufacture, damascus type, or anything about the maker???

I made a less than list offer and I've bought it but don't have it in hand just yet, so I have no pictures of the proof marks. Any information would be appreciated...Geo

It would seem to me that you are a bit more fond of squirrel than I am!
Back when my knees didn't hurt so much, I used to use a single for snowshoe grouse hunting. The notion that you would actually be sucessful in this endeavor was silly enough that you could probably have carried any gun you liked, including a snub nose .38 revolver, but, my single was an Italian folding "Companion" 12 gauge, imported by Galeif, and with a 30" full choke barrel, it was useful as a balance pole while walking in snowshoes.
At least it was hammerless. Not that it would have mattered.
It was mostly an exercise in getting out of the house and getting some mid-winter exercise, but, I did have a grouse explode from a snowcave right between the tips of my snowshoes on several occasions.

I don't ever remember taking a shot.

Enjoy the new to you gun.

Best,
Ted

lagopus #380028 10/08/14 05:14 PM
Boxlock
Boxlock

i have just joined this forum and need advice and help about my needham loveday birmingham single barrel 2.5 choke cocking trigger on the top also a lever on the top to open the barrels and a number 11 stamped into it ive have looked everywhere on the internet got nowhere

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

delete

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.