June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
4 members (skeettx, Bob La Londe, SKB, 1 invisible), 468 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,579
Posts546,656
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#37405 04/26/07 12:10 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm sure most of us have shot some form of clay targets in adverse conditions at one time or another. Last night while shooting skeet we experienced a unusual wind change that resulted in some sporting targets!! High house targets would fly semi-normal to near the center stake but then take a 3-4 foot (or more) drop in elevation.I had one high house target that was near the ground when I shot it! That along with the added tail wind made some mighty exasperated shooters!! At least the low house targets were floaters. All fun no matter the conditions!!

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

I remember shooting skeet one night under the lights when the snow was blowing horizontal so heavy you could barely find the targets and they where jumping up and down 2 - 4 ft. and somehow managed to go straight which keeps with the old, sometimes its better to be lucky than good .......

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like a normal (except for the snow) west Texas day on the skeet field! -- Ed

Keep outa the wire...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Heck, Anyone can shoot the normal ones...... A little wind gives them a chance and makes you think, or curse.

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wanna see what the wind can do to AAA class shooters? Check the scores posted last weekend in Dallas at the Metroplex Open. The score board spoke for itself.

FWIW, Skeet is probably the most unforgiving clay target game .. in that ANYTHING done wrong results in a miss. When the game is off in other disciplines the Skeet field can usually get it sorted out because one has to go back to the basics to produce consistent results.

Last weekend more that a few triple A's got caught unawares or off guard because of not paying attention to the basics. Sustained leads notwithstanding, at least not for the majority anyways.

Skeet, shot the way it was originally thot out and intended, is a great game & will have one in good shape for the next season. The only real fault is that the dog can't participate.

tw #37465 04/26/07 11:05 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Several decades ago I shot at Bridgeport Conn., in wind that was a blast. If you did not shoot at the low bird as it went across the feild you could always shoot at it when it went back. The high house was into the drink just after the center stake and the low house went almost all the way across and then went back where it came from. To keep us honest it was the .410 event. "Lost" was often heard that day.

High score that day was a 98 that had been shot before the wind started blowing hard. Many a AA shooter was in the mid to low 80's. Many just did not shoot at all to protect their averages. Sissys. My 95 got me squat, but I was quite proud of it and high man on our squad by 10 plus birds. Gave me bragging rights for month and some claim years with my squad.

We shot when we were squaded, endured wind, rain, snow, fog and anything else that came along. It was and still is fun. My four squad mates are all dead now but I still have the memories, thank God. None of us were watching our averages as much as we were into just having a hell of a good time. While we were having fun we also shot if we had time. Wish I had been there in your wind.

KY Jon #37467 04/26/07 11:20 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Reminds me of shooting skeet on my old Wednesday night routine at the International in So El Monte. We kept at it yearound here in SoCal. In the winter, the cold fog would roll in and you could barely see half way across the field in the halogen lit fog. birds from the stations near the houses would disappear going away and the incomers came out of the murk. Trap would get shutdown if it got real bad.

KY Jon #37492 04/27/07 10:07 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Quote:
We shot when we were squaded, endured wind, rain, snow, fog and anything else that came along. It was and still is fun. My four squad mates are all dead now but I still have the memories, thank God. None of us were watching our averages as much as we were into just having a hell of a good time. While we were having fun we also shot if we had time. Wish I had been there in your wind.

KY Jon
My buddies and I shoot most every Wednesday night in any conditions except rain.The mood is relaxed to say the least!Our fields are lighted.If you or any of the BBS members are ever in my area it would be my pleasure to have you join me. I have access anytime.
There should always be time to make new friends and bust a few clays!

Best regards,
Ken

Dodging lions and wasting time.....

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.