May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (skeettx, DaveB), 267 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,554
Posts546,264
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
JNW Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Clunky? Boats, I don't think you have ever handled, much less shot, a Perazzi of any kind. Some people find a 32" Perazzi that weighs 8# too fast for them. These guns are anything but clunky. I shoot a 34" with a 16" LOP and when people try my gun they are amazed at how well it moves. If you want to feel clunky and muzzle heavy handle a Browning 525 with 32" barrels. The Perazzi sxs, while no lightweight, is as smooth as a big gun comes. Are they a 6lb 12oz English game gun? No. But if you want to pound all kinds of targets they are the ne plus ultra.
Regards,
Jeff

"We are men of action. Lies do not become us."
Wesley
Sidelock
Sidelock

Perazzi's are fine guns, Several friends of mine shoot them and have used them more than once. They are slim compared to Brownings I will admit. Put put my Beretta 687 any of the target O/U's in a rack next to American SxS's like Parker LC Smith Model 21 they are big and to my eye Clunky Thats a good thing for a target gun not what I am looking for in a nice SxS for informal or formal SxS competiton. SKB seems to be following the same plan. SxS with all the modern features.

Perazzi SxS I saw in person had the same palm swell large forearm and buttstock as their O/U guns. It was not pretty. In the SxS ad's Perazzi shows a straight stock splinter forearm gun that looks nice, but have not seen that gun in person. Action is slim no reason it could not be well stocked, but it was not.

If somebody wanted to have the ultimate target SxS Perazzi is probably it, but what's the point? Not looking for the ultimate target gun for SxS Clays. It does have to work well and the vintage SxS's can do the job. Light English game gun not a good choice. American Vintage guns have the barrel length and weigh about the same as O/U target guns if you get the right one.

Poster asked for opinions and that's mine.

Boats

Last edited by Boats; 07/30/14 11:08 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A Stevens 311 is clunky. So is the first generation Ruger Red Label, though not quite to the same extent. A Browning superposed is not clunky. A Perazzi MX or the new DC12 is not clunky, nor Beretta's of any stripe.

A fellow clayshooter friend once had a 9 lb. 32" Kolar that was one of the most balanced, dynamic guns I've ever shot. It wasn't clunky either.

It's all mostly subjective, but some things are fact, whether you believe it or not.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would second the recommendation on a Brit BLE/BLNE waterfowl sxs as a good candidate for SCs. They aren't common but can be found and will cost less and represent a better value thant the RBL SCs gun (IMHO). I have owned several subgauge RBLs and enjoyed shooting them but dollar for dollar for this use, I think a British waterfowler is the better gun. The only potential issues may be DTs and typically tight fixed chokes, but the former a plus from my perspective and the latter can be managed by carrying some Fiochi or RST spreader shells in your range bag.

I bought a Gallyon waterfowler for this purpose, which is off being restocked by Dennis Smith. He is adding an understated BTFE. I hope to have it in the next couple months and am very eager to take it around Addieville when it arrives.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

This thread is useless without pitchers..... grin

Big Ann is 88 years old and hasn't gone up against any RBL divas, but she's fired over 65,000 rounds of 1 ounce loads, including a bunch of Rem Nitro 27's, and has received a few accolades. Still tight, but the toplever just moved to 6:31 this year. Probably last my lifetime now without a rejoint.

32" SW's can still be had for <$1200 and a superb restock to the owner's specs would bring the total to <$4K easily.

This one weighs 8.25 lbs but anywhere from 8-9 is doable, especially if you can find one with #1 barrels to start.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lots of opinions and nay-sayers, but not one word from anyone who actually owns and shoots an RBL Sporting Edition. Guess they are out on the ranges actually shooting!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Admit to being off topic with the O/U's however having handled the Perazzi DC 12 SxS seen the SKB SxS Clays gun in person and looked at photos of the CSM Sporting with adjustable comb & bevertail.

Pretty they are not.

Boats

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: JNW
Clunky? Boats, I don't think you have ever handled, much less shot, a Perazzi of any kind. Some people find a 32" Perazzi that weighs 8# too fast for them. These guns are anything but clunky. I shoot a 34" with a 16" LOP and when people try my gun they are amazed at how well it moves.
Jeff

Jeff, is spot -on.
I too shoot a Paz 34" at 15.5 LOP and it is as nimble as could be.
I let guys shoot it at the skeet field and they are amazed when I tell them it's a 34 after they shoot a round.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I personally would not like the Sporting version of the RBL. I have found later than I should have it is more enjoyable shooting a field style gun at Sporting Clays.
I regularly shoot with a group of elder gentlemen who shoot mostly side by sides. One shoots a 1909 Purdey, one shoots a Purdey hammer gun and one may shoot a Woodward or a Boss.
I occasionally shoot my two English guns as well. Never use the heavy loads but mostly the B&P Comp 1 in 7/8 ounce.
Much more enjoyable to shoot a field style game gun than a supped up sporting clay monster.
Now I would like to add a couple of choices to the list,
Beretta's new 486 in a 30" version. They are getting great reviews over in the Driven shooting world of the UK.
There is also a Winchester Heavy Duck with 30" tubes and much easier to find than a Browning with the same barrels.
Also a real nice sleeper that can be found is the POLI. You can find them with 30" tubes and they were made to shoot clays. The ones I have handled feel GREAT! No ejectors though but who needs them.
All of these can be had for less than a RBL. And will probably be easier to sell at a later date.
Just my thought.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have two RBL 12's. One is a light frame 30", btfe, pg, single trigger, with the low vent rib, with very nice American Walnut. It's about 7 1/2 lbs and is murder in a dove field and not bad on the SC courses. I shot a 90 in a local tournament with it last year.

The other is a 32" heavy frame with the same identical specs that I bought in April of this year. Its a good bit more weight-forward biased, weighs about 8 1/2- 8 3/4 lbs, but it is a great SC gun. If I hadn't let the silly pond shot at the Spring Southern SxS get to me, I would have probably won HOA with it. Has a fabulous piece of wood on it, better than the the light frame gun.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.