Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Take a compass, stick the point either end of your 18" diameter line running through your IC pattern, extend it 2", draw a ring around your 18" pattern--turning it into a 22" diameter pattern.

Woops . . . ghost of my geometry teacher spoke to me in my sleep. What I described there doesn't work. You stick the point of the compass in the midpoint of the 18" diameter line, extend it 11" rather than the 9" radius, then draw a ring around the pattern. What you end up with is a ring, 2" wide, surrounding the 18" pattern. That's the extra area covered by the 22" pattern. But in terms of area covered, it does give you an additional 50%. It's just that it's all on the periphery.

Everyone can work at shooting better. But in the meantime, until they become the second coming of Digweed, they will benefit from larger patterns. Especially true on birds often shot at very close range, like woodcock--because even if they don't need the additional pattern spread to hit the bird, it's less likely to destroy the bird. And yes, I have destroyed woodcock with an IC choke.

As for the effectiveness of cylinder on birds at somewhat longer range (20 yards plus average kills), I submit Mr. Sisley's season total of more than 30 grouse with a shooting average pushing 80%. Please raise your hand if you've shot at least a couple dozen grouse in a season with a percentage approaching that. Assuming they're not sitting on limbs or picking grit along the road when you pull the trigger. smile

Last edited by L. Brown; 07/05/14 06:44 AM.