Originally Posted By: SoTwin
Originally Posted By: Alvin Linden
While he may have said something, not "politically correct" [who hasn't?] and he's more tongue in cheek, than he cares to admit. What's sad, is his statement is also probably more in tune with a lot of dealers, than any of us care to admit. Anyway, isn't this about an unscrupulous Auction House? p.s. I tried their contact info just a while ago and it keeps failing due to excessive traffic...wonder why? HTH

"tongue in cheek" implies humor - nothing funny in what he said. sometimes "politically incorrect" is actually wrong, too

dealers?! - yeah, let's cast a baseless insinuation on them, even though uninvolved, if it helps make the point. what was the point?

perhaps some of the descriptions used to open this thread could be seen as advantageously chosen to "sell" your point but probably not unscrupulous…if you truly had a problem with transaction, which you admit you don't, seems the right thing would be to attempt to resolve it with the other party BEFORE trashing them in a public forum

1.Your first point re "tongue in cheek" is not what was implied, which was "he was not to be taken seriously". It is however what you choose to infer, because you are obviously looking for an argument. I however, may surprise you by agreeing; things that are "politically incorrect" are seldom "right" in the broader sense of the word.

2.My comment involving dealers, stems from over 50 years in the gun business. I grew up in a gun store being the son of the owner and owned two eventually myself. My wonderful late mother,who did everything in the store but blue guns [she hated the odor] took a zillion calls from dealers, who when she tried to get specific info [as my Dad had asked]was 9 out of 10 times was told..."Just have your husband call me!" So I believe, although it may have been a sign of those times, my wife who has been involved in our business for over 30 years, would tell you it is still alive and well, although no more so than other industries.

3. I did not choose anything to "SELL" my point. I accurately and fairly reported, on one blog which I frequent; the FACTS as they occurred.
The reason I did not go to the Auction Company first was, I was after all these years aware, the auction house has a disclaimer that you agree to, releasing them of any responsibility. I saw no need, I was however going to send an email reporting my experience but the contact HOT BUTTON was busy with heavy traffic. In the interest of fairness, I want to report the following:

A little after 3:20p.m.EST,I received a call from Carol Watson herself, she started by saying she heard I was disappointed in the item I received, I detailed all the problems stated here including one omitted [the barrel was listed as excellent, but I received it so dirty you could hardly see lands and grooves differentiated,in it. How could they tell? I couldn't until it was cleaned [it took over an hour], and it was fine. SHE APOLOGIZED AND OFFERED A FULL REFUND INCLUDING FULL SHIPPING. I found her to be a very nice person, with an interest in making things right. I declined, and told her that I was going to put some money, into getting it brought up to their description. I TOLD HER THE PERSON DOING THE DESCRIPTION ON HER GUNS COULD NOT HAVE POSSIBLY SEEN THIS RIFLE, AND DESCRIBED IT AS SUCH! I strongly suggested she rethink the person in this job and maybe a person familiar with guns, was an improvement

4. I DID AND DO HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE GUN, I am just willing to spend MY MONEY INTO MAKING IT RIGHT, SOMETHING THAT I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO DO!. Always remember, had the gun been accurately described and pictured, the bidding was not as likely to have GONE THAT HIGH! THEY LIVE ON 17.5% OF FINAL PRICE!

5. I stated before I entered this listing, I GOOGLED them and this was not the First Time they had problems with GUN DESCRIPTIONS.
I did not trash them, I exposed THE TRASH. THEN I GAVE THEM CREDIT FOR THEIR ATTEMPT TO SWEEP IT UP.

I see you live in MAINE HOW IS JAMES D. JULIA DOING UP THERE?