I just took a little two day trip with one of my sons to an area tech school to enroll him into a CNC machining program. He'll also be learning manual machining, so I'm hoping he'll eventually be able to help me set up a manual metal lathe that I inherited from my father many years ago.

I took the opportunity to visit several area gun shops to check for classic and antique doubles. At one of the stores I ran into several L C Smiths, most in good mechanical shape, but the receivers had actually been CHROMED, with the barrels worked over with cold blue. The crazy thing was that these guns were priced very high, as if they were 80% plus original condition. The shop owners actually considered the finishes to be a plus, rather than a detriment. When I attempted to explain the concepts of "original condition" and "restoration" they looked at me as if I was speaking a foreign language. According to my guide and cousin, those guns had been on the rack literally for years. What a shame.

Last edited by Ken61; 03/26/14 09:40 AM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.