I have reviewed most of the information on this site about damascus and it appears there are two schools of thought, "I shoot damascus" and "I don't shoot damascus." The more prudent among us appear inclined to relegate these old shotguns to wall hanger status. While I consider myself a prudent individual, nonetheless, I joined the "I shoot damascus" club last weekend when shot 75 rounds of factory low-pressure loads through my circa +1907 (patent date of 1907) Meriden hammer gun and I enjoyed it enough that I think I will likely continue to shoot it.

My shotgun appears to have the less desirable "twist" construction (photos below). It also appears to have some spots where one band was joined to another (second photo). Also, interestingly the barrel block appears to be of damascus construction too (third photo). I have read elsewhere that it was common to fake the damascus pattern on fluid steel barrels of that era as damascus was regarded as higher quality. I would like to see photos of a replicated damascus barrel should anyone care to share.

According to contemporaneous advertising, the barrels on my shotgun were made in Belgium. I think Parker likewise used Belgian produced damascus. Many opine that the Belgian damascus was not as strong as the English damascus; however, it is interesting that American manufacturers resorted to the Belgian produced barrels and did so well into the smokeless powder era. After these Belgian barrels were delivered, does anyone know just how much work (e.g., join, regulate, bore and finish) was typically done in the United States to mate them to the shotgun? My Meriden bears no indication of factory proofing. Does this mean it was not proofed, or simply that some American manufactures did not mark their guns with a proof?

So please, anyone who is so inclined please feel free to let me know I am not alone in shooting my old damascus barrel double gun and if you do shoot damascus, what type of barrel you are shooting, how often you shoot it, loads (factory or reloads) and how you use your damascus gun. If you are able please post some photos of your shotgun.

Thanks-

Doug