I believe that up until the change in proof laws in 1954 they actually could be proofed at the 1-1/8 oz. level......why I don't know, given their weight. I currently own a 2" Churchill 'Imperial' SLE that was proofed at 1-1/8 oz. out of the London Proof House. Sold new in 1954 with the typical XXV 25" barrels and choked .015" and .017".

Only photo I have quickly at hand can be seen by clicking on this link to our annual vintage shoot coming up this May here in northwestern Montana. The photo is the frontispiece to our program:

www.gamradtgallery.com/nimrodclassic.htm

All Best,

Rob

P.S. It took me a while, but just had a flashback as to this matter of reduced proof in the 2" gun. I'm working off memory here, but recall from my reading that the former 1-1/8 oz. proof requirement in effect prior to 1954 was subsequently reduced when some English makers of two-inch guns petitioned the proof authorities claiming that it was difficult for them to be building sub-six pound 2" guns and still meet the higher proof standard. I may not have it exactly right, but I think it was lowered at the request of various makers, and I'll do my best to recall in what article or book I read that. Meanwhile, someone else is likely to come along and better flesh out the details.....

Last edited by Robt. Harris; 02/04/14 08:54 PM.