May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (KDGJ, Jeremy Pearce, 2 invisible), 328 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,549
Posts546,213
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
vikram #350963 12/31/13 10:01 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

L. Brown #350983 01/01/14 01:30 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
So, what are you shooting that doesn't have a rib? Few guns were ever made sans a rib of some sort.

Best,
Ted

Ted, more common on OU's than on sxs, but surely you've seen Marlin 90's and Remington 32's with no midrib between the barrels. (Krieghoffs also, copying the Model 32 design.) The Alex Martin ribless used a similar system on a sxs: Joined at the back end, joined at the muzzle (with a very short "rib" and front sight), otherwise open in between. Works quite well in both cases.

Thanks for making my point, Larry. I've actually handled a Martin ribless, but, I'll leave the model 90s for you. BTW, you forgot the most common one-The Ruger Red Label. The center ribs on that one are purely decorative, and pop right off.
I suppose I have to let a few of your senior moments slide, however. At any rate, a happy New Year to you and your's, Larry.

Best,
Ted

vikram #351049 01/01/14 03:13 PM
vikram Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you all for your inputs. Are there any perceived or real disadvantages to the rib or lack of it as shown in the second photo?

Best-
Vikram

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to
pause
and reflect.

- Mark Twain
vikram #351136 01/02/14 06:12 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Vikram,

The advantages I have determined from personal use of borrowed sunken rib doubles are a forward light feel and no place for rust to accumulate unseen. It is so easy to run an oild rag in the space between barrels of a gun with no botto rib, or a single suken rib.

I have also used several ribless over unders and they too have the same advantages. So far I have not come across a totally ribless side by side. It would be nice to heft and shoot a few shots with an Alex Martin someday.

Sidelock
Sidelock

So, what are you shooting that doesn't have a rib? Few guns were ever made sans a rib of some sort.

Best,
Ted

Ted, more common on OU's than on sxs, but surely you've seen Marlin 90's and Remington 32's with no midrib between the barrels. (Krieghoffs also, copying the Model 32 design.) The Alex Martin ribless used a similar system on a sxs: Joined at the back end, joined at the muzzle (with a very short "rib" and front sight), otherwise open in between. Works quite well in both cases.

Thanks for making my point, Larry. I've actually handled a Martin ribless, but, I'll leave the model 90s for you. BTW, you forgot the most common one-The Ruger Red Label. The center ribs on that one are purely decorative, and pop right off.
I suppose I have to let a few of your senior moments slide, however. At any rate, a happy New Year to you and your's, Larry.

Best,
Ted

Ted, you must have had too much New Year's cheer and forgot to read your own post--the part about "few guns" being ribless. So you turn around and point out that the Red Label is (or can be) yet another example--along with all the Rem 32's/Krieghoffs, many of the Marlin 90's, etc. Admittedly, far less common in sxs . . . but I guess those hundreds of thousands of ribless guns = "few" over there in Minnesota. Hey, it's been cold . . . guess you haven't been drinking your daily antifreeze to keep the brain cells working. My point is that "few" ain't nearly as few as your post stated--but glad you provided yet another example to agree with me--and disagree with yourself. smile Here's to less confusion in 2014.

L. Brown #351147 01/02/14 09:51 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Best,
Ted

Best,
Ted

Admittedly, far less common in sxs . . .

You 'sorta said it all right there Larry. Since it appears you got lost in the topic, and, like usual, forgot where it all began, how many O/Us have you seen with a swamped rib?

We have perhaps five or six examples of guns made without a true middle rib, all but one being O/Us, and you call that thousands? They may have made that many of them, but, there clearly weren't thousands of ribless gun designs.

Make a note of it.

Best,
Ted

L. Brown #351155 01/02/14 10:56 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, you must have had too much New Year's cheer and forgot to read your own post--

I think it's called ol'timers

Teddy you better stick to talking about something you know something about...like Moss'eburg pump guns.

HomelessjOe #351186 01/02/14 12:28 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Apologies for going slightly OT...I thought this was referred to as a "feather" or "plume" because of the shape of the transition piece with doll's head (don't know the technical name) and the engraving thereon:

As to the OP, I think Shotgunlover makes a case for less places for rust to hide. My Ideal 314 16 ga pictured above comes in at 5lb 14, and it is lively in the hands. So weight reduction can also be a factor. It also looks cool to me, though only when admiring it, as I don't see it when shooting.

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
vikram #351198 01/02/14 02:18 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

muzzle lite is great for cottontails!

vikram #351209 01/02/14 03:15 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just as a side note a sunken or ribless gun does not necessarily have to be muzzle light. the barrels themselves can be built heavier, longer or both & even a muzzle heavy ribless gun would be no problem to achieve. I have not handles a Marlin 90 in some time, but as I recall I would not call one of those particularly muzzle light.
The term "FEW" is most often used in a relative manner. When one compares the number of makes/models of sunken rib SxS, Ribless SxS or ribless O/U to those bearing full ribs then in my opinion they are rare indeed. All the models of ribless designs which have been named here I could count on my fingers. How many hands you reckon it would take to get enough fingers to count those having full ribs??? Its quite unusual for me, but this time I have to agree with Ted.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.