June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
2 members (Jtplumb, 1 invisible), 425 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,574
Posts546,487
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Russians and Serbs have two headed eagle monstrosity. The weapon appears Central European to me, but the action style kinda sings in Swedish to me. I would venture to guess it was finished up someplace in upper or lower Silesia.

I have seen 12-12/9.3x74 with Posen address on the rib. The action components were from Thuringia but finished up around old Polish/German frontier. Did not get chance to look at the proof marks. The regions plus Pomerania, East Prussia and Silesia are "unexplored wild double gun country". smirk

Sidelock
Sidelock

My WAG is Czarist Russia. Based on the lines of the gun, what looks like a St Peter's eagle and the variation of the T for the Tula Amory. Russian guns, to me as a westerner are hard to nail down because they have not been all that consistent with their proof marks. The Russian people have faced great upheavals though out their history.

Sidelock
Sidelock

pooch - Repeat: this is NOT a Russian eagle. This is NOT a Russian gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's not Russian. What is it?

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are a lot of European countries of which little is written about their proofing systems if they even have a proof law. For example what goes on with gun building in Lichtenstein, or Albania, the Ukraine, Poland? And there are others in western Asia heavily influenced by European designs. And who says the marks are actually valid proof marks? What do the proof marks of Sweden, Norway and Finland look like. I have yet to find those in English literature.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This makes me wonder if our proof pal raimey is ok
H'ell usually jump right into this stuff
you ok , raimey man ?
franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
What do the proof marks of Sweden, Norway and Finland look like. I have yet to find those in English literature.
Itīs better to search them from internet. Itīs quite easy, for example finnish proof marks has been long time the head of lion with crown. Itīs part of our nation crest.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Humpty Dumpty
Something about this gun - not sure what exactly - says "Hungary" to me.

Edit/UPD: I'm 90% sure it's the Austrian Imperial Eagle, but since other proofs aren't Austrian, the gun could have been made in another part of the empire pre-WWI: any country which later made up Yugoslavia, Csechoslovakia or Hungary.

I agree. I have been through all sources I have, nothing firm.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Had a 16 bore Greener with a Paris address and Austrian proof marks. Anything is possible.

RJB Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I've continued to search for proof marks that match up with the ones on the gun. No luck so far.

Thanks to all who have taken the time to weigh in on its source.

The search continues.

RJB

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.