June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
3 members (Wild Skies, 2 invisible), 342 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,612
Posts546,990
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

This may be of interest to you.
I saw a gun today at a clayshoot that everyone was admiring.
It was a Browning Citori and it looked like Tiger stripes.
Stopped and enquired about the finish, the gentleman was most helpful.
Sanded right back to bare wood and then stained all over black (Olde English Oak) then sanded back a pattern to suit your personal taste using steel wool. Rub at various areas back to bare wood to a pattern you desire, let it dry then refinish stock with oil of your choice? Linseed or Tung. It really did look very good.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Salopian,

That sounds like a great foundation for any numerous patterns and mineral lines. Tiger striping seems a natural for that.

I don't know of anyone in the states who does quality faux stock work but it would be very helpfull especially when lengthening stocks with wood since it is almost impossible to match wood.

It seems to me there would be plenty of people willing to pay $200 for that work and more for a complete stock done that way. Like I said before it would be a nice way to dress up a gun that does not justify a stock replacement or upgrade due to its lower value. There are a lot of fun guns out there that would benefit from this process.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a thought.If you printed a photograph of a Tiger skin or your favourite Tabby cat, cut out the black stripes in the photo.Sanded back to bare wood the stock, lay on your cutout and stipple with dark stain through the cutouts you could reproduce the pattern on your stock.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't bite down while your tongue is in your cheek, he says with a twinkle in his eyes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Builder,
I was reading an advert today for a Fabarm semi-auto equipped with a Tru-wood (trademark) stock. The blurb alluded to 'a photo-synthetic grain'laminated onto the wood.
Is the answer to faux graining to go and buy a photocopier and some paper paste?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Funny, I had one two years ago. Best faux wood I have ever seen. In fact, I could not tell it was a fake. I liked the gun but could not shoot it well because the stock was "fat". Sold it. Lost 50 bucks. Same problem with a Weatherby SC made by SKB. Gorgeous unique receiver but a fat stock. Lost a hundred on that one. Did not know there was such a thing a bending a stock although I think they had through bolts.

Didn't read this board yet.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nothing wrong with the ebonite donut from the "structural" viewpt. either. May look a bit better with a black pad.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am trying to contact Derek in York UK to get the contact details.But am unable to PM him.HELP

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck, Have you done a Butt Transplant without the Draw-Bolt???The 20 O/U Pre 1964 Beretta that is Pictured in OUR book(onyour Workbench)only had the'Hand-Pin'at the rear of the trigger and a wood screw under the top lever.Oh boy..read TRIGGER-PLATE)..I have in the W/S a Lefever'Cgrade' 99% case Colouring on Action/Side-Plates.BUTSomebody Miss-Read the artical WE wrote,put way too much angle on the cut-off,the drop at heel is 6 1/2" Then ran 2 3" wood-screws in from the T/Guard channel. Then used a Industrial Strength epoxy to finish of the job! Question, Do you want a Challenging Job'....Always something New at the Workshop Door!!.....Salopian, Do you know the Chap that also does the "Art-Work on Stocks who is in Reigate? Redhill? I saw a French"Purdey look-alike' that I think came from his w/shop It was"Bond Street Art Gallery Quality"! Just like the [photos on this thread! I had to "Set a 16b Francotte some time ago, I was"Perplexed"sp) when the stock finish with all the luverly marble figure dripped off into a puddle into the oil-tray! Always an Adventure with Old Guns!!!!CC

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've just been reminded how I used to 'Faux-Grain' Repaired Mantons, Twiggs.Back in Londinium, under the watchfull eye of my 'Gaffer'The Late & Great Purdey Stocker, William'Bill' O'Brien. When he did repairs, add-ons he showed me the method of Oxalic-Acid and Black-Powder,Light toilet paper and retire to a safe distance....Now thatB.Lee.H.& Dr.Raymond have put me into the 'Cyber-World'Iwill try to catch some'Flaming Gunstocks'photos. A well known M/Loading Gunmaker William Vetors. Brazil, Indiana.also showed me a'Burning Method he used to 'Tiger-Stripe' his Cherry Stocked M/L Rifles,circa 1964. CC.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.