June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jtplumb, Lloyd3, Ted Schefelbein), 379 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,586
Posts546,750
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, that's a great find. Curious as to specs--barrel length, chokes, weight...Gil

Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Barrel length is 25 1/2 inches. Chokes, marked on the barrel flats, are MOD/FULL. My postal scale says just under 6 lbs, but, it is not that accurate a scale. The gun has a raised rib and no under rib, and was not equipped with a sling, contrary to the ad copy in the 1965 Shooter's Bible. It is marked "QHS" on the rib, which stood for quail hunter supreme in Stoeger jargon, which was a 20 or 28 gauge V19. The LOP is about 14 5/8ths.
Thats all I can think of at the moment.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

They are odd guns, IMO, interesting, but not worth the money because of the way they feel and handle. I could never shoot one well - just didn't feel right in my hands.

Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: shortround
They are odd guns, IMO, interesting, but not worth the money because of the way they feel and handle. I could never shoot one well - just didn't feel right in my hands.

Perhaps the last design of gun that should be sold "off the rack" is a Darne. Fit is critical. So critical that I quit selling used Darnes early on when I was importing them. But, to those that have gone to the trouble to get one in their measurements, I assure you, they feel wonderful in the hand. And I shoot my fitted R10 just fine, thank you very much.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: shortround

I'm sure they're fine guns, but they just look funny. They're like McPherson guitars - no matter how good they sound, I could never see owning one.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Everyone has their likes, and, dislikes. I guess I'm glad the people who think their opinion on this particular design is important have weighed in to share that with us. I do wish, however, they could have seen the post for what it actually was, the illustration of something we all hear about, but seldom get the chance to see.
An unused, unfired, 50 year old gun, that has spent it's entire life in the box it came home in. With it's papers and hang tags and certificate of proof all waiting for the day it was opened up for interested parties to see.
How often does a good double gun get put away and forgotten about, to surface half a century into the future as a time capsule from the day it was sold? I had never seen that stapled paper envelope marked "DOCUMENTS" in all the years I have been fooling with Darnes, so, I learned something when I opened that box. I also learned that I won't bet on quality level of early production Stoeger imports. And, that inspite of the 1965 Shooter's Bible saying so, not all QHS guns were fitted with the Darne sling.
My history lesson for the month, I guess.
I'm not in love with the guns dimensions, but, I could make do with a slip on recoil pad. I haven't decided exactly what I'll do with it. I am thrilled to have had the chance to see exactly how the gun left Stoeger, however, and to share that with a few folks here.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Ted,

Great find, thanks for sharing an event that is often talked about but never really
documented.

Best,

JC

Last edited by JayCee; 08/22/13 04:31 PM.

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

You are correct Ted; in retrospect maybe this wasn't the place for such opinions and I certainly I didn't mean for mine to detract from what is a very unusual find. I appreciate your sharing it.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Could you share a little more of the backstory Ted? Was the elderly owner the original buyer? How did it happen that the gun was untouched all those years?

Jay

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, I appreciate the thread in the spirit you started it. It is indeed an rare find. It reminds me of the news of the retired car dealer in Nebraska who is auctioning off some cars he hung onto over a 50 year career. 500 cars in fact, including about 50 with odometer readings under 10 miles. You hear stories like this but it is in fact rare to see the real deal.

Like Jay, I'd like to hear a little of the back story.

Last edited by canvasback; 08/22/13 01:59 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.