Alors, this is easy to do. I've done it. I've just been in Paris and no changes in the law lately. Bought the gun, showed a US passport to the dealer, a EU passport would require a different procedure, he boxed it up and I took it away. I left the gun in Paris for a few months. If I hadn't had a place to leave it I'm sure the dealer would have held it for me. Anyway, back in the USA I filled in the Form 6 and got my local FFL guy to sign it for $20. A month or so later I got the permit in the mail. Good for 6 months. Went back to Paris with a hard sided gun case that fit inside another suitcase/duffle bag. BYW I always put the gun case inside another suitcase when I fly, less chance of theft. On return flight to the USA I declared the gun at check in at CDG. They did the usual look thru the barrels to see that it wasn't loaded, put the usual firearm tag in the gun case. I locked it up, put the gun case inside the suit case with my other junk, locked that and checked it thru to Philadelphia. In Philly I declared the gun at customs, showed the Form 6, paid a very modest fee and I seem to remember they gave me a green copy of something and a receipt for the fee. I was on my way within 30 minutes or less. This particular gun is a Darne V19 sixteen bore, absolute beauty. I also regularly fly back and forth to Ireland with a shotgun. In this case though the gun was bought in the US and I have an Irish permit for it. I always have that little US Customs form with me when I'm coming back but I've never had to show it in many years of travel. So there you go. No big deal.
Where do you shoot in France? Is there a place in the Bois de Boulogne? On a sadder note, there seem to be less and less gun shops in Paris.
nial