Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: treblig1958
Why are we asking a trap shooter or a bird hunter or a collector which is Best what do they have in this game, what are they putting on the line?

Lets ask a Professional hunter in Africa which maker of gun he would use to follow up a wounded animal. Most if not all would say British. And if theyre not using a British built double then they usually say they would love to have one but cant afford one. That is what makes them the "Best"

I know, I know, well, how would you know you've never hunted DG in Africa. Well there are professional hunter here on this Board, let's ask them what maker they use or would use.

I have limited experience on this but have done 5 safaris, I dont know a PH who wouldnt have a double rifle by Holland in .470 or .500 AS A BACK UP over any other, if they could afford one. A working rifle is a different thing but when in the thick stuff, Ill take a .500 double. As J.A.Hunter said (over 1000 Rhino and 1200 Elephant all on control) "I have many friends in Nairobi cemetary who put their trust in bolt action rifles, I prefer my pair of .500 Hollands and if they had once let me down I would not be penning these words"

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
The problem I have with using price as a determinate is some of the top names probably have a much higher gross profit margin than lesser known makers for equal quality. And they are able to demand the price partially based on their historic reputation. Nothing wrong with it but it should disqualify cost as a basis for judging a best.

When you consider that H&H and Purdey are owned by large conglomerates, you have to wonder how that affects internal cost/pricing decisions. Not that ye olde gunmakers weren't motivated by profit either, but the corporate approach to making a profit tends to focus on cost-control - and is often short-sighted and internal (not customer) focused.

It would be a fascinating exercise to have a top-notch gunsmith compare current "best guns" from corporate owned makers vs. some smaller, independent makers like AA Brown, DMB and the like - a real fine toothed comb review that looked at the arcane details of gunmaking that might reveal the difference between a "best gun made without consideration to cost [and profit]" vs. a "very high quality gun that can be sold for a respectable profit." And to make it even more interesting, include some of those ne plus ultra guns from some Italian makers like Rizzini and Fabbri into the mix.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
PALUNC #329263 06/28/13 09:14 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dover - that's a very interesting point you make. However, there are other examples of large companies making luxury goods. Think Van Cleef & Arpel and Tiffany or Patek Philippe. Certainly there is profit motive but when a company is manufacturing goods for the very high-end consumer they do not screw around. These are not products for the working class bloke and the stakes are too high to have "quality creep" set in. I suspect that corporate "squeeze" comes in with Remington or Mossberg but the stakes aren't that high - those buyers don't expect perfection (by and large). In the case of H&H or Purdey or Boss and others of this ilk, the products are to a large extent price inelastic and anther ten grand in price won't screw an order. Add 50 bucks to the price of a Mossberg and there might be a fall-off in sales.

PALUNC #329264 06/28/13 09:24 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Shotgunlover, a sleeved Purdey may have started life as a best, but it's no longer a best once it's been sleeved. New set of barrels from Purdey . . . then it's still a best.

And while there can be debate on triggerplate actions and the "best" designation, I don't think there is where boxlocks in general are concerned. That's why they're usually qualified with the "best boxlock" designation.

PALUNC #329267 06/28/13 09:47 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

This discussion was supposed to be about "best guns", so let's get back to that. This includes mostly London makers and one or two others such as Hartman & Weiss and one or two Italian firms.

It generally takes about 450 to 650 hours to build a gun and there are 7 major trades people who work on each gun. In London, average wages for gun trades people is way over %50,000 per year with benefits. Factory overhead, machine tools, materials, WIP parts, inventory, staff personnel, advertising, sales expenses - it adds up fast. It is no wonder that a best gun begins over $100,000 today. Add engraving other than in house rose and scroll, gold embellishments, extra finish, and the price can approach and exceed $200,000. Even at these prices, best gun makers hope to break even or may make a modest profit. Purdey and Holland make more on their clothing lines and accessories than on guns. If it wasn't for the big pockets of their corporate parents, most best gun makers would have gone the way of Woodward, Grant, and so many others.

These guns are for the very few - or are they? How many of us know of others, or posses ourselves, expensive motorcycles, boats, two or three vehicles, a vacation home, etc. A "best" gun is within the realm of availability to more of us than we may think. It just depends of an individual's priorities in life.

PALUNC #329271 06/28/13 10:15 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thats what we are talking about, Best guns and why they are considered best guns regardless of who first used that term to describe that gun. I, for one, read about the guns and rifles developed during the muzzleloading period and have noted a whole lot of English named guns, still being produced today, that have killed a whole bunch of big frickin animals that could have very easily and in a blink of an eye stomped your guts into the ground.

Just giving credit where credit is due, that's all. smile

PALUNC #329273 06/28/13 10:41 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

As it is already mentioned above, the two great London Makers are daughters of some of the worlds greatest luxury labels. .
As I started writing about fine Gunmakers, I thought H&H and Purdeys beeing the lonesome stars in the double gun sky. However, after some time of interviewing and watching gunmakers at work I've learned, that there are indeed differences between the big english names and a few small makers, in my case here in Germany. (Hartmann& Weiss, Max Ern) But in a different way as I thought. As mentioned, the London firms all have employees, what means costs, and this is the one big difference to Max Ern and others: He, for example , is working on it's own together with his son and his wife (engraver) and they work on their own private ground. This means, costs are minimized, it doesn't matter, that, for example, his CNC machines are not working around the clock. It means too, they are working, because they want it and they love their work. They are living their gunmaking. Of course they have to earn money, but this is not the true or only motivation for them. The motivation is, making guns. Not only guns but best guns. They always try to improve their work. They always have an eye on the best of the best and they work hard to be on the top. Above is mentioned that it needs at least 400 - 500 hour to build a gun. I saw a 400/450 double rifle in the white which will need 2000 hours to be finished! And of course it will cost nearly as much as a double rifle of H&H, P. or whatever english maker.
But since I watched the fire in the eyes of Max, the skills of Max jun., modeling the bascule of a double rifle like a sculptor and since I saw the soulful engraving of Evelyn I have an uneasy sense of what they are really doing. And if I ever would have not only the wish but also the money to own a very best gun, I think I would play this card.

Kind Regards,
Gunwolf

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunlover
Brittany Man,

Beretta's SO series are all monobloc, most would rank them as "best". All sleeved chopper lumped bests are ersatz monoblocs and they do not seem to lose their "best" designations.

Shotgun lover, I'm well aware that most Beretta SO guns are of monoblock construction (the SO 10 guns are demiblock by the way so what does that tell you as Beretta attempts to move upmarket with the SO 10) & while they are nice guns I don't think "most people" who appreciate fine guns consider them "best" guns. The joint line at the monoblock is visible & ugly. It's so visible it's like they were proud of it.

A sleeved best gun is just that; a once best gun that has been compromised by a more economical repair rather than new barrels of the original construction.

Anyway, this thread is way off topic from the original question of if British best guns built between the wars were superior to those built earlier.

Personally I think guns built between the wars had the advantage of the improved metallurgy available, well developed designs & manufacturing techniques while labor costs were still comparatively low & each gun received lots of attention from skilled workers. Also the economic crisis of the 1930's meant competition between makers for business was fierce so it was likely you would get their best effort.

That said, I've seen some wonderful examples of British Best Guns from all eras & that includes the late 1960's thru 1970's period when workmanship & quality were definitely in the decline, so as always each gun needs to be evaluated on it's own merit but I do think the between the wars period is an excellent place to look for an example of a "best".

Last edited by Brittany Man; 06/28/13 04:40 PM. Reason: further thoughts
PALUNC #329278 06/28/13 11:10 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

"there can be debate on triggerplate actions and the "best" designation"

debate on what grounds? The sear-tumbler geometry is superior to sidelocks, the action bar is more solid therefore stronger. The stock to action joint is stronger in round actions. Since the advent of the Round Action the debate should go the other way, whether sidelocks by any maker can still lay claim to the title.

In the words of Gough Thomas: "for sheer thoroughbred lines the Dickson Round Action yields nothing whatsoever to the finest sidelock ever built."

I might be wrong, but I frequently perceive an American reverence to anything bearing the dubious title of "London best" and inevitably the sidelock action because is what the London makers made. Had the Round Action been able to show a London address no doubt it would also be equally revered. It is useful to remember that vital bits, like locks were made by Stanton and Brazier far from London, while prestigious guns like the Lancaster 12/20 and the Holland Dominion were made entirely in Birmingham.

As for pricing and profit. The standard of living attained by James Purdey the Younger, detailed in Richard Beaumont's book, stands as evidence that a fair amount of money could be made in this trade.

The value of a prestigious gunmaking firm to a big conglomerate is in its client book, not its turnover. Just think how valuable is a real time updated list of people who have repeatedly spent the price of a house on a gun!

And to remind us all yet again, a Ferrari with a bluprinted V12 engine, ie lots of handwork, sells for 150$ per kilogram, while a best gun goes for 30 000. Some people obviously know how to exploit our passions!

PALUNC #329307 06/28/13 07:52 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Shotgunlover, the debate comes in the initial definition of "best", which required that best guns had to be sidelocks. It can be argued that in some ways, boxlocks also have advantages over sidelocks. As for Mr. Garwood, he tended to give praise where he thought it belonged rather than going with "tradition". Re fretted barrels, as seen on French guns, Thomas wrote:

"With resleeving now thoroughly established, it seems remarkable that no British firm has adopted the fretted barrel, with its possibilities for combining greater strength with a reduction in the cost of producing double guns." So, if monobloock/fretted barrels have superior strength, should we not then be talking about them as belonging on a "best" rather than chopper lump? After all, one can do some nice engraving to pretty up the joint.

And I may be missing something on Lancaster, but my sidelock 12 (not a 12/20) carries London proofs and a London address. Lancaster was always a London firm, even after it was acquired and eventually became part of Atkin, Grant and Lang. I wouldn't doubt that Lancaster, like many London makers, had boxlocks made for them in Birmingham. But I've seen 12/20 sidelocks, and always thought they were London guns.

Last edited by L. Brown; 06/28/13 07:56 PM.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.