Quote:
I've shot damascus barreled SxS's for ten years - have tried to keep my loads under 7000psi. IMHO it doesn't matter what powder is used - 7000psi is 7000psi be it BP or any nitro. My BP load is 70grs of 3F and 1oz of shot - fiber wads. If my gun hasn't blown up in a 130 years, it isn't gonna now with 6 or 7000psi loads. Any American made double of years past was built plenty stout [ not like those skinny British guns ] and should be safe with any pressure curve if it's under 7000psi. Paul

Drew posted this link:

claytargettesting.com/study2/Study2.3.pdf

Looking at the RedDot/GreenDot pressure curve in the Clay Target article it convinces me that the pressure curve arguement is more academic than practical.

I've been shooting my Birmingham proofed LC Smith for over 15 years (850 BAR proof - 650 BAR service). I used 7625 and the PB early on but started shooting a 7/8oz RedDot load in Federal Paper hulls that list at 4800 PSI @ 1200 FPS. I'm a mild weather shooter so I've never experienced a squib load with it. Paper loads look so appropriate in the old girl and I even sneak a sniff occassionally.
A 1oz 700X load at 5000-7000 PSI (depending on primer) feeds all my SxS's.
In my original post the term "hogwash" might have been a little strong.
Craig AKA nitroproof

Ask not for whom the dog barks, it barks for thee...
NRA Life Member