Back to Remington Model 17s. They were a John M. Browning design all their own, certainly not related to Remington's 12-gauge John D. Pedersen designed Remington Repeating Shotgun/Model 1908/Model 10 or the shortlived improved version the Model 29. While I am genetically predisposed to dispise bottom dumper pump guns, I do find Model 17s with the bosses at the front and back of their receivers rather attractive. Much nicer looking than slab-sided Ithacas. If you ever see the one Remington engraver Carl Ennis did for his Wife, you'll see how really attractive they can be!!

The Model 31 was an entirely new side ejecting design by Remington designer C.C. Loomis, with help from Charles H. Barnes and Oliver H. Loomis. Once it went through the growing pains of the 1931 and 1934 versions and emerged full blown in the 1941 version it was, in my not too humble opinion, the greatest pump gun to shoot ever. And, I shot NSSA Skeet with a full bag of Winchester Model 12/42s for seven years. The Model 31s do have their issues though, and if you've spent some time with one, you know why in 1950 Remington went to the "twin action bars" on their new Model 870 Wingmaster.