June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
9 members (David Williamson, irs, obsessed-with-doubles, 3 invisible), 430 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,586
Posts546,757
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

I may be completely wrong, but if you load a 3/4 oz. load in a 12ga. and a 28ga., for targets only, out of two guns that throw the same % patterns would it not be more a question of the dynamics of the two guns than the gauge?Mark II

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, if you really want to get into testing, download a copy of Dr. Jones's "Insights" program for digital acquisition (from a digital photo of a pattern) of patterns and statistical analysis of them. Matter of fact I would recommend anyone considering patterning work use Insight. It is a fabulous tool. Post back if you want to go this route and/or need help with it.

DDA

Last edited by Rocketman; 03/07/13 11:56 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, Don, and all. First thing I need to do is get off my butt and get that pattern plate built, then I can photograph the patterns instead of keeping all that paper. I can understand the numbers much better now.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan;
My figures were simply theory & based on a situation which doesn't exist in the real world. If the shot were distributed evenly over the entire pattern & spread linearly it would be a simple mathamatical equation to calculate on the fact the area of a circle is proportionate to the square of its diameter. The fly in the ointment is the shot are not evenly distributed. In theory if you had 100 shot in the 30" circle & you drew a concentric 15" circle then it would have 25 shot in it. You could no doubt fire a million patterns & never acheive this situation. You will virtually always have some amount of central core thickening which will increase the number of hits in the center, but lessen the hits in the outer ring. If you ended up with 40 hits in the 15" circle & 60 in the outer ring then you would have 200% central thickening so obviously a well center target coud be killed or broken at a further distance than one in the outer ring. Yet each of these two patterns could be described as a 60% pattern with 3/4oz of #6 shot.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, Miller, I understand that, and have been aware of the "hot core" of nearly all shotgun patterns for as long as I have been patterning, which has been a long time. I understand the inability to calculate an exact comparison, because of this and because of the way shot are distributed, as Don explained. But, this question still nags me. If this is the case, and we accept that it is, can we not then go forward with a comparison that accepts the error, and the fact that none of this is exact, and have something useful anyway?

When I study published yield comparisons of corn, cotton or peanuts for the previous crop year in order to determine which variety, out of dozens, I will plant this spring, I know that these same varieties could be planted and compared again and the results would not be exactly the same. The top yielder might fall to second, or third place. But, when I look at those yield comparisons for the past three consecutive years I see one or two emerge as the clear leaders, I know I have some information that is useful to me. At the bottom of the page of corn yields there will be info such as this, showing yields at various locations:

Yields ----------297.3, 312.2, 314.2, 265.6

LSD at 10% level ----9.4, 16.1, 14.6, 18.4
Std. Err. of Entry Mean 4.0, 6.8, 6.2, 7.8

I'm sure these two lower lines of numbers mean much more to some of you than they do to me. I understand, by this, that these yields can be given a certain level of credibility. If this is acceptable to me I put my "faith" in these results.

Is there a difference here that I do not see? I certainly am no student of "probability". There may be some of you who are, and understand these things much, much better than I. If so, please comment.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Took me a while but I finally figured out....check you your pattern on a pattern plate if it looks good you're good to go.

Time spent analyzing patterns could be better spent.

Sidelock
Sidelock

10% LSD sounds bad to me, but if you look at enough patterns, you may well be tempted to use the stuff.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan;
I would guess that this would be possible, but will have to say I have simply not done enough pattern testing at a level to make any real conclusions. One question in my mind is if a similar shot loat is fired through different bore sizes, can a statistical probability of pattern distribution (basically central core thickening) be established. In my mind, I would expect the largwer bore to give less core thickening than the smaller bore, but have not actually proved this to be the case.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

That might hold true until you really squeeze the choke on a big bore.

Sidelock
Sidelock

With this greater understanmding of numbers any one care to comment about ethics of shooting at birds with shotgun at at 100 yards or more ?

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.