Mark,

I wouldn't suggest you use any modern Nitro Powder in these old rifles. The original Nitro for BP rifle rounds were made in the early days of Nitro powder evolution specifically Cordite manufacture. If you stay with BP you and your rifle will be safe.

I have little doubt others may disagree, that's their prerogative but I didn't get to 70 years of age by taking chances when loading ammo. Ive loaded many BP cartridges over the last 50+ years. The larger the calibre the coarser the powder grain is the rule of thumb. I'd suggest FG or FFg for rifles, FFFG for pistols and FFFFG for flintlock frizzen pans. As to brand, it seems you have to take what you can get these days, but I'd suggest you stay with genuine BP rather than the substitutes that are around. My prefered powder was Curtis and Hardy's No.6, sadly no longer made. Today in Britain I believe most of our BP is sourced from Spain.

The thing to remember with older firearms is, that steel doesn't improve with age like fine wine, so don't maltreat the old girl.

Harry.

Last edited by Harry Eales; 02/28/13 05:15 PM.

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.