May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Leo M, eeb, jake van dyke, j7l2, GETTEMANS, DGM), 360 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,561
Posts546,332
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

Buckstix, you are a blessed man smile

Many old caliber guns have come and gone from my stable.
CURRENTLY no lebel, but have 11.7 Danish, 577 Snider, 577-450, 11MM Beaumont, 41 Swiss centerfire, 11 Mauser, 43 Spanish, 11 Werndl, and others.

I have moved a bit away from the smaller old calibers like Lebel, Kropatchek, Gras, I do have one 7mm Rem Rolling Block.

I often find 3031 is good for the early smokeless cartridges.

Good luck on your 3031 and 245 grain test.

Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello skeettx,

That's very interesting. I also have Werndls with their weird rotating breech-blocks. I have 2 Werndl rifles, a Werndl carbine, and a Werndl Schuetzen rifle built by Steyr & Pest in 11.5x50R. Sorry to get side-tracked, but as you can imagine (based on my interest in the strange little 8mm Lebel Double) - I like "weird" guns.

So, back to the Lefaucheux. I went to the range yesterday and I tried some new loads with .321 dia 245g bullets with IMR 4007 SSC and IMR 3031. The results were less than I was hoping for. Individual barrel groups were not too bad ranging from 1-1/8" to 3-5/8", but the groups were still crossing at 50 yds.

More testing to follow.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been on a roll with Rieger.

The Legion of Honor files have shown that:
Louis Henri Rieger was born on 2/25/1841 at 1AM from Jacques Rieger, age 26, knife maker and his wife Zoe Viron, age 20, in the town of Houdan (Yvelines, France).
He had a sister and a brother.
He was not drafted while in Houdan.
He had at least a son Gaston Rieger and a daughter married to a Henri Giot.
He was a Director of the "Maison Lefaucheux" in 1862 and associate from 1862 to 1870.
On 12/7/1866, he lost his right eye in an accident while experimenting on a Chassepot rifle. (I guess the barrel bolt failed!)
Nominated Knight of the L of H on 12/29/1882.
Promoted to officer of the L of H on 10/20/1911.

In 1911 he was head of the "Etablissements reunis de l'arquebuserie francaise" "Maison Lefaucheux, Beringer, Rochatte, Bertin, Jourich & Nouvelle".
He was at his death the vice president of the French gunmaker's association.
His wife Emilie Douville passed before 1913.
He passed age 71, at his home of 37, rue de Vivienne on 2/17/1913. He is buried at the Pere-Lachaise Cemetery.

Best regards,
WC-

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello WildCattle,

Well, my bullets finally arrived from Hawk yesterday. I assume yours did also. Today I'll concoct some kind of load to test. I expect I'll post the results here. Its nice to be back on this project.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello All,

Well its been exactly 3 months since my last update with my little Lefaucheux. I spent a lot of time and frustration trying to get this rifle to shoot. All tested hand-loads and factory ammo resulted in 2 groups about 15" apart, with the barrels having "crossed". Mathematically, the bullets crossed about 10 feet from the muzzle. Here is an example target:

I purchased the rifle from Champlin Arms in February. I spoke with George Caswell, the owner, about the crossing problem and he said he would stand behind the rifle and take care of me. He said I should send it to him to have JJ Perodeau regulate it. JJ is George's partner, and owns the Service Divivsion of Champlin Arms. George says he's the best in this Country.

I expressed my concerns about preserving the originality of the piece and the aged patina of the barrels, since all was original from 1898. (I didn't want the Gold and Platinum inlays coming back in a separate envelope.) George put it to me this way; "JJ is not a Gunsmith, he is a Gun Maker." George assured me that all would be as original and I wouldn't be able to tell anything was done to the rifle in the regulating process. He said it would take 4-6 weeks depending on the weather.

I gave it serious thought, and in mid May, I finally decided to send him the rifle so JJ Perodeau could work his regulating magic. Per instruction, I included 40 rounds of ammo, which was Factory PRVI 8mm Lebel, 200g FMJ BT.

After 3 long weeks, I called for an update. I spoke to JJ, and he told me that he was surprised to find that the front wedge had been "silver-soldered" in place. This was something that he had seldom seen, and then only in a very few instances, and never, on such an old rifle. He was absolutely amazed that a rifle from 1898 would use such high temperature joining.

He indicated that trying to re-regulate with such high temperature joining, would surely cause the barrels to be separated from both ribs, full length, and destroy the original patina.

His solution was to "cut" through the existing front wedge, and insert another wedge in-between, using the conventional temperature methods.

Here is the before, and after of JJ's work. Interestingly, he left the new wedge in place, protruding 1/8" forward of the muzzle faces. Perhaps this was to protect the muzzle, or just to show that something was actually done to the barrels, otherwise one couldn't tell. Total center/center change, was only about .015 inches more spread.

And, as they say: "The Proof is in the Pudding". Here is the Regulating target that came back with my rifle, about 5 weeks after I sent it to JJ.

JJ used only 22 cartridges for regulating. The last 8 shots are shown on the target. The 6 shots in the black at the right, are labeled "Mixed R & L Sight In Rounds." The 3 far right shots that string vertically, are about a 2-1/2" total spread. The larger irregular hole, an inch left of the string, has 3 shots into that "one ragged hole".

And, the last 2 shots, at the top edge of the 2" dia. white bulls-eye, are labeled "Last L1 R1 Two Rounds + POA 50y." Those last 2 shots are about 3/8" apart.

I really like JJ's final notation on the Target that reads: "Old Casimire would like that!" This is referencing Casimire Lefaucheux, the namesake and builder of Lefaucheux rifles.

Do I really need to say how satisfied I am with the work that was done to my rifle by J.J. Perodeau? Its been a week and a half since I got it back, and I'm still smiling.

Sidelock
Sidelock

AWESOME
I trust you can duplicate the results when you shoot it!!
Sometime different body masses affect the gun differently.
Look forward to hearing your results.
Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello skeetx,

Well, I'm not as good as JJ when it comes to shooting doubles, but I'm satisfied with this test group today. I hope I can find more of this PRVI Factory stuff soon. I only have 1-1/2 boxes left. My next challenge will be to try to find a hand-load that does as well, or even better.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello WildCattle,

Did you ever send your rifle to JJ for regulation? Have you done any shooting?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: WildCattle
I have been on a roll with Rieger.

The Legion of Honor files have shown that:
Louis Henri Rieger was born on 2/25/1841 at 1AM from Jacques Rieger, age 26, knife maker and his wife Zoe Viron, age 20, in the town of Houdan (Yvelines, France).
He had a sister and a brother.
He was not drafted while in Houdan.
He had at least a son Gaston Rieger and a daughter married to a Henri Giot.
He was a Director of the "Maison Lefaucheux" in 1862 and associate from 1862 to 1870.
On 12/7/1866, he lost his right eye in an accident while experimenting on a Chassepot rifle. (I guess the barrel bolt failed!)
Nominated Knight of the L of H on 12/29/1882.
Promoted to officer of the L of H on 10/20/1911.

In 1911 he was head of the "Etablissements reunis de l'arquebuserie francaise" "Maison Lefaucheux, Beringer, Rochatte, Bertin, Jourich & Nouvelle".
He was at his death the vice president of the French gunmaker's association.
His wife Emilie Douville passed before 1913.
He passed age 71, at his home of 37, rue de Vivienne on 2/17/1913. He is buried at the Pere-Lachaise Cemetery.

Best regards,
WC-

Anyone ever seen such or can date it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK88EsjZCrc

http://www.littlegun.info/arme%20francai...alexis%20gb.htm

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.