June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
6 members (Stanton Hillis, Jtplumb, SKB, David Williamson, fuhrmann, Silvers), 341 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,612
Posts546,978
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

For storage, you can lower the strikers,w/o dry firing.Open the gun,take the safety off,pull both triggers,then slowly close the gun.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have heard that the bare brass caps can react with the steel causing corrosion, and also that the wool mops can cause moisture problems. A-Zooms for me.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Der Ami: I'm not sure that will work with every gun. Depending on the action, that could cause more problems than solving them. On the horn-block thing as well, letting the hammers down is a mixed blessing at best. Depending on the ejectors used (if present), this can really get things "out of whack". Assembling an LC Smith with it's hammers down can be quite the challenge for the unsuspecting owner.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 01/31/13 10:55 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

When I want to let the hammers down for storage (and not taking the gun apart) I drop a 2" section of solid bronze rod down the bores, point the gun straight up and snap it. The bronze rod works great absorbing the impact of the hammers. Low tech but it works.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Der Ami
For storage, you can lower the strikers,w/o dry firing.Open the gun,take the safety off,pull both triggers,then slowly close the gun.
Mike

Mike,

Many hammerless double guns will drag the extractors and/or ejectors over the exposed firing pins on closing if the hammers are not cocked...and some you can't release the safety with the lever to the right...............

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Fin2Feather
I have heard that the bare brass caps can react with the steel causing corrosion, and also that the wool mops can cause moisture problems. A-Zooms for me.

If you use EEZOX that will never happen..........and using EEZOX may save you lot's of other unpleasant things as well.......

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

The wool mop is intended for lubricant/protectorant application that will prevent corrosion.

Last edited by Gunflint Charlie; 01/31/13 05:14 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike
Not with an LC Smith however-

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
Mike
Not with an LC Smith however-

Works fine with my LC SLNE.

Last edited by oldstarfire; 01/31/13 05:21 PM.

Dumb, but learning...Prof Em, BSc(ME), CAE (FYI)
Sidelock
Sidelock

A Parker equipped with an automatic safety would be difficult to lower the hammers. When the toplever is locked to the right, it is also bearing against a small pushrod that forces the safety into the 'ON' position, thus preventing the safety from being moved to the 'OFF' position until the toplever is returned to its center position.

GMC(SW) - USN, Retired (1978-2001)

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.