I want to be very clear up front that this post is not intended to start an abortion debate - these numbers are offered only for a comparison to the White House's political rhetoric. I recognize that many members feel strongly about the abortion issue, but please do not let this thread get diverted into an abortion debate. I am posting these statistics to offer some context for the White House’s strategy of framing the gun-control debate as protecting our children from “assault weapons,” “high capacity rifles” and the like. Despite that rhetoric, here is what the Administration is willing to tolerate when they support a woman’s constitutional right to terminate a pregnancy.

• In 2008, approximately 1.21 million abortions took place in the U.S. From 1973 through 2008, nearly 50 million legal abortions have occurred in the U.S. (AGI).
• In 2009, the highest number of reported abortions occurred in New York (119,996) - 713 abortions per 1,000 live births in NYC.
• In 2009, 85% of all abortions were performed on unmarried women (CDC).
• 45% of abortions were performed on women with one or more prior abortions (CDC).
• At current rates, nearly one-third of American women will have an abortion (AGI).
• Only 12% of women included a physical problem with their health among reasons for having an abortion (NAF).
• One per cent (of aborting women) reported that they were the survivors of rape (NAF).

At least in MA and NY, it is far easier and faster to have an abortion than to obtain a license to own a firearm.

For the record, I am pro-choice (though not necessarily pro-abortion), so I am not posting this information to advance a hidden pro-life agenda.

These statistics came from this website:
Abortion Statistics

Last edited by Doverham; 01/17/13 04:52 PM.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.