I have both English boxlocks and 4 AYA boxlocks in various gauges. I have owned one of the AYA's for about 25 to 30 years - absolutely no problems. I got a new gun, it was an ejector, it had not been messed with, the stock wasn't cut, there was a guarantee.

A new AYA is a very fine gun for the money - with NO risk. An English boxlock is also a fine gun, but, there is the risk factor unless you know guns well and can trust your dealer / the person selling the gun and all its previous owners...

personally I very much doubt you will find an old english gun in the same or similar condition to a new AYA at the same money.It can be done, and I could do it in GB, as there are still one or two nice Webley's etc knocking about - but in a different country it becomes significantly harder if not impossible if you are to stick to the same budget. The english gun may also have fired a lot of shells, been used in wet weather, may have been lapped, jointed, dents lifted, chambers lengthened, stock cut not to mention triggers / ejectors etc etc.

It all depends what you want the gun for - if its just occasional low volume use go the english route - if you can find a good one at sensible money. If you intend shooting a lot and you don't want a gun thats obviously had a life and plenty of use before you - I know what my choice would be - but then I have the advantage of owning both...

Jonty