I found my way here while searching for Newton information. I'm not a collector, but I have two first model Newtons, a .256 that I just recently bought and a .30 Newton that has been in my family since my Great-Grandfather bought it.
I've never shot either of them, but I am planning to do so. I've purchased 100 pieces of brass for each from Jamison's and Quality Cartridge and have die sets for them, RCBS dies for the .30 and CH dies for the .256. The .256 is going to be my deer rifle and I hope to one day hunt moose with the .30. I am planning on shooting either 125 gr. Partitions or 130 gr. Accubonds in the .256 and something similar in 180 gr. for the .30. I've probably found all of the available loading data for both, but if anyone has a load that has worked well for them, I would appreciate any info you would be willing to share as a place to start.
An Uncle of mine has another .30 Newton that he picked up long ago as a rehab project that he hasn't gotten around to doing. As I recall, it's missing the buttplate, the front sight has been changed and whoever had it before him botched a bedding job and left it a mess. I'm thinking that I should take it off his hands and attempt to resurrect it. Anyone know where a Newton buttplate might be found? Or how to remove bedding compound without destroying whats left of the finish? Rob

Last edited by RememberBaker; 01/07/13 10:34 AM. Reason: Poor grammar