This is about the non-take down rifle pictured above.

I have written these people several times and have never received an answer. I remember they were going through a renovation and I have not tried in a few years.

Anyone have a key to unlocking this place?

California Academy of Sciences
875 Howard Street
San Francisco, CA 94103-3009

December 26, 2004

Dear Sir:

On December 7, 2004 in the Bonhams & Butterfields antique arms & armor auction there were two sporting rifles for sale. Both rifles were listed as having been the property of the California Academy of Sciences.
Lot No. 2449 Rifle serial number 133474
Lot No. 2450 Rifle serial number 471837
I was the successful bidder on both lots and am trying to learn the history of the two rifles.

Anything that you can share with me would be a big help. Rifle No. 471837 was customized by San Francisco gunsmith Barney Worthen. The other rifle has some things about it to suggest the two rifles were original owned by the same person. I have spent years trying to preserve the history of the American custom gunmaker and would love to know the history of these two rifles.

Regards,

Michael Petrov

When I got the catalog for this auction I look at the Worthen rifle but the description said nothing about Worthen. Just a low-numbered 1903 that should not be shot ;-).

On the day of the auction preview I called Ron Peterson who I was sure would be there. He answered his phone just as he was walking into the auction house. I gave him the lot number and a few minutes later he said it was marked "Barney Worthen" plain as day on the barrel.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014