June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
3 members (HalfaDouble, azgreg, 1 invisible), 382 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,616
Posts547,032
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Several issues at work here:

1. What's the definition of "lite loads"? Most would characterize a 7/8 oz load, regardless of hull length, as "light" in a 12ga gun--but it might not be light in terms of pressure. Or it might be.

2. What's the definition of "the ammunition the gun was designed for"? I have several boxes of British shotshells, some of them 2 1/2", some 2 3/4". The information on the shell boxes tells me that the 2 1/2" shells are appropriate for guns with 65mm/2 1/2" chambers or longer and marked 3 tons. However, the Brits didn't start marking their guns with the "tons" marks until 1954, which leaves it open to question whether guns manufactured prior to 1954 were designed to handle those shells.

3. What we do know, from Sherman Bell's tests as published in Double Gun Journal, is that using hulls slightly longer than the chamber in question does raise peak pressure somewhat. Usually only a few hundred psi, although in some cases a bit more than 1,000 psi.

4. What we also know is that the Brits themselves, for quite some time, have used factory ammunition loaded in hulls that are slightly longer than the chambers in question--without raising pressures to dangerous levels.

My own conclusion from all of the above: IF you know what you're doing and IF your gun is in sound condition, there will probably be no problems using standard 2 3/4" hulls reloaded to the pressures for which the gun was designed--and building in a "safety cushion" to compensate, just in case the longer hull does increase pressure somewhat--in guns with 2 1/2" chambers. The most common exception is in older (pre-1900) guns with very short and sharply-tapered forcing cones. With those guns, there have been reports of even factory British ammo in slightly longer hulls causing problems, such as blown ends on the shells. In those guns, you do need to stick with true 2 1/2" hulls, whether factory or reloaded. But in all the short-chambered guns I've owned, I've yet to encounter that problem. And like Chuck, I reload 2 3/4" hulls to appropriately low pressures and shoot them in my 2 1/2" guns.

MIKE THE BEAR
Unregistered
MIKE THE BEAR
Unregistered

What L. Brown said.
One other personal observation; it does feel to me that 2 3/4" shells in a 2 1/2" chamber raise recoil levels a little. Even with identical payloads and velocity. Maybe its just me, but I do notice it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The data from many tests indicates that there is only a slight increase in pressure(100-500psi) from using the 2 3/4 " loads. I have never noticed any increase in my 2 1/2 guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Teeny, what shotgun do you have?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quite aside from safety concerns, I found that a 2 1/2" chambered gun patterned poorly with 2 3/4" shells. Whether this was the result of shell length may be impossible to know, but it nudged me to use ammo of appropriate length.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Patterning the difference between the two is an interesting question. I will try that and check the difference. FYI,I always shoot ammo with less that 7000psi in my older doubles.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, I missed the wall in his description of his measurement. I still think teeny needs to delve deeper into the best methods for appraising barrel integrity. Even a wall thickness measurement 9" from the muzzle isn't that relevant.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stallones, you state "the results of many tests" show there is only a slight increase. What tests, where can we see the results?

Also you said you never noticed any increase in your 2 1/2" guns. Were these guns equipped with pressure sensors or how would you notice any increase in your guns?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Stephen Grant side lever & Charles Boswell 2 1/2 " both proofed for nitro

Steel barrels

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice guns,teeny.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.