An interesting DR in 9.3x74 1/2R, possibly made, but peddled by Eduard Kettner Suhl with the tradename Marke Rhenus on one of the tubes topped by an Oigee Luxor 4x. "Marke Rhenus" was a tradename of Eduard Kettner and he advertises in 1908/1909 as being his new mark of quality. Protection for the term Marke Rhenus may have been sought in 1908/1909 if not earlier. Odd that it doesn't have any cocking indicators that I can tell.

Most interesting are the initials E.S. over W.K. If, if the initials E.S. belong to Edgar Strempel Suhl, it makes one speculate a dual effort by E.S. & W.K. sourced from the same shop. And with that could Edgar Strempel been an employee of Wilhelm Kelber concern. Paul Schlegelmilch & Franz Schüler were employees but I haven't previously seen any indication that Edgar Strempel passed thru the shop. Post WWII, Edgar Strempel was a gunsmith's gunsmith and was considered one of the best, if not the best, in his time. The April 1926 proof date may be one of the earliest examples with the initials E.S., if they are indeed for Edgar Strempel. A wild guess that he was born circa 1900/1901 and would have been a master by the mid 1920s. Sketchy info suggests he was active to the mid 1960s and from the mid-late 1960s a son-in-law by the name of Klaus Mehner who continued the business using the trademark StreSu(Franz Strempel Suhl?) till 1975, or thereabouts. Of course there are other options for E.S. and some stamps were script and some had an odd S.

These tube marks have plagued me for a time and I wonder if it is an intertwined RK, possibly for Rudolf Kelber but I am very unsure if Rudolf Kelber contributed any effort other than management?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse