June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
7 members (Mike Jensen, buckstix, 12boreman, SKB, 2 invisible), 547 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,579
Posts546,664
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Originally Posted By: Chuck H

Miller,
My point was that since hunting as we know it, is done for enjoyment only and as such, each person seeking that enjoyment is best qualified to judge whether or not they are getting inferior or superior enjoyment. Some get their enjoyment out of watching their dogs work, some from collecting large quantities of game, some from shooting particular guns. All the same thing: the pursuit of enjoyment.

To say we hunt for enjoyment wouldn't that be saying we enjoy the kill ?....an assassin enjoys the kill never a true hunter.

It's the chase....which I think a big part of is lost in the game farm shuffle.
I've never been to one. I might reach a point in life when I need a fast forward diversion...just not yet.

Looks like you didn't read the quote from Chuck that you posted. He listed several of the different ways hunters can find enjoyment.
A day hunting is a day of enjoyment for me, whether I "assassinate" any game or not.

Your post reads like you think hunting renewable game is the same as murdering a human being. Surely hope I took it wrong.

I do, however, enjoy "assassinating" prairie rats by the hundreds, on my yearly trip to Wyoming. I also enjoy being out in that beautiful country, making good shots and just seeing the varmints fly up in the air.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Again it seems that most would like to own/shoot a .410. Like I stated earlier, it's not for everyone,and it does have it's limitations. As far as long range, what is long range? A .410 will shoot as far as any guage, just don't have the same amount of pellets. How many have actually skinned a bird to see how many pellets were in a bird. I used to do some taxidermy, and mounted quite a few pheasants (wild ones then) and you would be amazed as to how few pellets are really in them. I've seen pheasants fly for close to a 100 yards and fall stone dead (heart shot) and have seen them fly upwards (head shot), mostly 2-3 pellets in the vitals.
As far as Ted badmouthing Greg, he should have looked at the state he is from (Pa) that would have told you they were stocked birds. (If you see a wild pheasant now, report it, it's endangered here). Granted stocked birds are just that, doesn't mean they are easy though, still takes a well placed shot.
With the .410 you will find yourself getting on the birds faster and not letting them get out too far, 15-20 yards.
Also don't believe what you see on TV as all those pheasants flying around are wild. Look and see how many more hens than cock birds are getting up, they are preserve type shoots also, they have to supplement, yes stock birds to make up for the wild birds harvested. And most of those shows you could use a .410. Hunting wild pheasants there is no talking, laughing, calling your dog, if you do you won't see anything. You have to push those birds out of cover and make them fly. Know for a fact, hunted South Dakota's truly wild pheasants, no fat on them, no crowing when they take off, maybe weigh close to 2 lbs.
So because there are no wild birds here anymore (live in the old pheasant mecca of Pa), in order to hunt you have to shoot preserve birds or release them yourself on a Regulated Shooting Ground. Same thing with the trout

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

I used my Uggie 410 for the first time on the 1st day of our pen raised quail shoot last weekend in Georgia. I am a very mediocre shoot and will say that most of the birds I hit did not go down hard. We did find most if not all of them but I think you need to be a better shot than I am. I intend to get better before I use it again but I did enjoy shooting and carrying it. I used my 28ga the 2nd day and did WAY better, even though it kept doubling on me (hey, maybe that's why I did better, let's see, 1 1/2 oz of #9 with 4 dram equiv when it doubles).

I agree that it is shooting, not hunting when you are after pen raised birds and someone else is taking you to the birds and running the dogs. It can be enjoyable to shoot with a friend, watch the dogs work and sit around the campfire with your friends though. Don't be too judgemental.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim to each his own...we were talking about actual hunting not prairie dog shooting.

About the 15th time I read 'Meditations on Hunting' by Gasset my brain has been scrambled.
What I was saying was hunting to me is more about the chase than the actual kill and I agree with Gasset a hunter should get no enjoyment from the kill it's just the end result of the hunt...and 'no' I don't hunt with a camera.
Call it enjoyment if you like.

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Mr. Hartman,
Well, I wasn't going for somewhat sarcastic-in fact, I was being downright smartassed.

Ted:

“Some folks, like, say, me, or Larry Brown, have access to pheasant hunting where the birds are truly "living off the fat of the land". Those birds never look like the birds in your photo.” I am envious of your access to wild phez. They are gone from here and, though we have ruffed grouse, etc, I must travel to hunt wild phez. With respect, I don’t agree with your statement at all. I have killed countless wild phez in 48 straight years (except 3 years spent overseas as a prisoner of the US Army in the late 1960’s) of holding a hunting license, both here in the glory days and all over the country. In my experience, wild phez tend to have more spectacular plumage than pen-raised birds. Both are pretty, but I’ll take a wild bird every time for appearance and other factors. Here’s a late season limit on Iowa birds – they look pretty good to me.

Since you can tell the difference, I’ll let you tell me whether this brace is pen-raised or wild:

How about these?

These?

“I was being downright smartassed … I called you on that. I was right, too. “ An interesting mindset. Why did I need and deserve to be “called out” by a self-appointed BB cop in a “smartassed” manner no less?

“Further, use of a 410, and, usually, a 28, on birds that have to earn their living everyday, is not use of the best sporting judgement (sic).” Well, I agree in part. For the typical casual hunter, you are clearly right. For someone who is good enough to be reasonably sure of centering the bird in the pattern and who is experienced and restrained enough not to take any marginal shots, there is no doubt that a .410 can be used humanely on wild birds within its limitations. I like to think I’m a decent shot (average 80-90% on SC and shoot many, many birds in a year) and most shots over my pointing dogs are very easy to begin with, but I work too hard to get a point on wild birds, like a jittery Greater Prairie Chicken for example, to simply watch them fly off if they flush beyond 20 yards or so. Therefore, I like a bigger gun – generally use a 20 here in the east and a 12 out west. FWIW, to my mind a 28 is THE perfect tool for pen raised birds - it provides clean kills out to 30 yards or so even on big birds - but it is a bit light for the wild bird hunting I do.

“I've shot a few game farm birds in my day-I say shot, because it isn't really hunting, as I define it, anyway” Obviously, you are fully entitled to your opinion. Game farms can provide everything from a rather pathetic poultry-shooting experience to an experience that gets pretty close to wild bird hunting, so usually folks who will tell you of good or terrible experiences are telling the truth as they witnessed it. It all depends on how the club is run. Also, there is a huge difference between hunting planted birds and scratch hunting – where you are chasing birds that have survived any number of hunters, dogs, predators, etc. Before you finalize your opinion on this subject, Ted, you might want to broaden your experience a bit.

Regardless of all that, hunting clubs allow me to feed my addiction. I hunt wild birds here, in the west, etc, etc, but the wild bird seasons aren’t enough for me. By virtue of belonging to a hunting club, I can hunt two or more times a week for a full seven months out of the year. It may not be “real hunting” to a purist such as yourself, but for a fanatic such as myself, it sure is better than sitting at home or cleaning the basement.

“I noticed you said you guide on the game farm. I've done some guiding for wild birds in my past, and I didn't realize people would hire a guide at a game farm-I learn something new everyday, it seems.” Yep, they do. You are pretty much lost without a good dog – not everyone has dogs. We get all sorts of folks – some rookies who have never picked up a gun before, like this fine young man who killed his very first birds over my dogs:

Some folks like this gentleman, whose older dog had died and his puppy wasn’t ready yet:

And lots of regular guys just out for a good day:

Guiding in addition to my regular hunting (wild and pen-raised) allows my dogs to kill at least many hundreds of birds in a year, plus it helps keep the Old Man in top physical condition and it keeps him smiling – isn’t that what this is all about?

“from what I've seen, game farm birds don't cling all that tenaciously to life.” I’ve often heard that and do not agree at all. However, conditions are usually more controlled so that you don’t need or want to take longer shots, plus few wounded birds escape - retrieving is usually much easier than in wild bird cover like this:

“But, like I said, I've been trying to do right by the game animal with as quick and humane a kill as I can” There we agree. The fact is a .410 in the hands of a competent shooter and used only within its range is a humane killer.

“… it would cost more, and be less efficient FOR ME, at this point in the ball game, to consider a 410. Something about getting almost 2 rounds of 20 or 12 gauge ammunition, for the price of 1 round of 410 just chaps my hindquarters, too.” Well, I don’t get too concerned about the cost of ammunition for hunting. Especially when you think about the costs of travel, maintaining good dogs, nice guns, a motorhome, etc, etc, the cost of ammo is an insignificant factor. I burn many thousands of rounds (including .410) at targets and cost becomes a real factor there. That said, it is clear you don’t reload. If you did you would know that the .410 is the cheapest gauge to load – it uses only small amounts of powder and shot. It is much cheaper to shoot a .410 than a 12 or a 20.

“Don't even get me started on the price of the guns. My Dad says that's the Barvarian (sic) cheapskate ancester (sic) in us, which others may/may not be afflicted with.” Each to their own. I hear you about ethnic background. I was raised by my poor rural PA Dutch grandparents who spoke only some English – talk about frugal!! Nonetheless, I like nice guns and am able and willing to pay for them because they make my time in the field even more enjoyable. Others don’t. Each approach is just fine because it’s all about how you have fun, as some other have noted.

“Use the 410 in good health. Did I mention it's really cute? The dogs, too.” Thanks! I do mean that, truly.

Greg

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim to each his own...we were talking about actual hunting not prairie dog shooting.

About the 15th time I read 'Meditations on Hunting' by Gasset my brain has been scrambled.
What I was saying was hunting to me is more about the chase than the actual kill and I agree with Gasset a hunter should get no enjoyment from the kill it's just the end result of the hunt...and 'no' I don't hunt with a camera.
Call it enjoyment if you like.

Well, the post I responded to didn't make much sense and this one quoted above doesn't either. You seem to have a problem with the word enjoyment. Hunting to you "is more about the chase than the actual kill". Doesn't that mean the chase gives you enjoyment? Why on earth do you equate hunting with assassinating PEOPLE??
To take it to extremes as silly as your posts on this, how do you have any idea what is most enjoyable to an assassin? Maybe the assassin enjoys the chase as much or more than the actual kill? Maybe he/she doesn't even enjoy the kill itself, just as many hunters also do not.
As far as I'm concerned, if we could have shoot and release in hunting, as we do catch and release, in fishing, I'd be happy to do it that way
This thread WAS about .410s, not some PC nonsense about what hunting means to you, me or any of us.

> Jim Legg <

Bouvier Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, open a little door and who knows what will pop out. Thanks for the 410 education. I had a little bolt action when I was a kid that killed a lot of rabbits ..... and haven't eaten many since. (A house rule that went for most things shot ..... never crows!). After all that was said I'm still up for a 410 for the reasons I have already stated ..... I want to work harder to be a better shot ...... and I want to have a shotgun to lend to new shooters that doesn't leave them bruised. I'm not a reloader so loading soft 12's or 20's is not an options.

BTW ..... if anyone was convinced by this thread that it was time to dump their "girlie" gun ..... drop me a line. I'm confidant enough about my manhood to be seen with it.

Bouvier

Sidelock
Sidelock

brother Jim must be having a bad Birthday.

I'm sorry I forgot to wish yOu happy Birthday Jim....may you shoot millions more prarie dogs and call it hunting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You can't help but smile ...

Last edited by C.R. Sides; 03/07/07 01:28 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

brother Jim must be having a bad Birthday.

I'm sorry I forgot to wish you happy Birthday Jim....may you shoot millions more prarie dogs and call it hunting.

Thank you for the very sincere birthday wish, Joe. Your reading skills really need some work, however. I said I enjoy assassinating prairie rats, nowhere did I call it hunting.

> Jim Legg <

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.