June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
2 members (fallingblock, Jtplumb), 249 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,575
Posts546,540
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A lot of letters in the initial shield and what do you think CSS3 might mean? The owner will be watching this and can answer questions.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Original owner looks like W K DuP

I can't think of a barrel maker or gunsmith with the CSS initials, but I'll bet someone can. The 3 is a further mystery to me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the initials are WK du PC; Could this be William Kemble DuPont Carpenter (1919 -1987)? He was the son of R.R.M. Carpenter and Margaretta Lamont DuPont and the nephew of Pierre S. DuPont.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Terry,
The barrel is a NRA Sporter barrel that was rebored to 35 Whelen and still retains the star guage mark on the muzzle. I wonder if the CSS3 has a connection to the reboring.
Dan

Sidelock
Sidelock

Carpetsahib,
Thanks for the idea on a name for the shield, there can't be many people with those initials.
Dan

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Carpetsahib
I think the initials are WK du PC; Could this be William Kemble DuPont Carpenter (1919 -1987)? He was the son of R.R.M. Carpenter and Margaretta Lamont DuPont and the nephew of Pierre S. DuPont.

Wow...yeah, that has to be right. How did you know that? shocked Did he have other rifles monogramed, or are you just familiar with the DuPont family?

Sidelock
Sidelock

A DuPont could easily have the privilege to send a personal gun to Remington for repair, since they owned the company. CSS3 is the Remington repair code for April of 1947. How am I doing? Not as well as the poster who identified the owner of the gun, obviously. Good work.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ryan McNabb
Originally Posted By: Carpetsahib

Wow...yeah, that has to be right. How did you know that? shocked Did he have other rifles monogramed, or are you just familiar with the DuPont family?
Its just simple logic: the "du P" suggests DuPont. The "C" suggests the initial of the last name - Cooper, Cox, Carpenter, etc. It isn't far fetched to believe that someone connected to the DuPont family would indicate the fact by using a composite family name.

So, I simply googled "WK DuPont" and looked for a likely candidate with a "C" surname. The party chosen fit the initials and the time period, so voila.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Eightbore,
Does the quarter rib and sight look like Rem work from 1947? Could they have rebored the barrel to 35 at Rem and used the CSS3 mark for the rib and rebore?
This was a great idea of Michaels to post this on the forum, getting lots of good info.
Thanks,Dan

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am a little surprised to find Mr. Carpenter used a "Poor Man's Griffin and Howe". I Googled his name out of curosity as to his gun interests and found the following entry, in the family history blog:
"William Kemble Du Pont CARPENTER-11802 was born 27 May 1919 in DE. He died in FL in 1987.
He retired to Florida where he was concidered the richest man there with 333 million. Unknown which date the dollar figure figured."
Maybe he had the money because he didn't buy G&H's...of course he probably had more than 1 rifle!!!!
Here is a 1950 photo at a family reunion, he is on left and the lady in the dark gown is his wife Frances.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.