June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
6 members (Argo44, DaveB, Southern Sport, GeorgeGibbs505, JDH, Jolly Bill), 243 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,572
Posts546,457
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

Big ole rabbit. Not a cottontail, but a separate species. Sometimes its called a swamp rabbit. They hang around the water and will lead a dog on a real swim sometimes. It's about 1 and a half times the size of a cottontail, runs differently from a cottontail, and has a little solid brown tail rather than a white tail. There's also another rabbit around here called a marsh rabbit that lives in the spartina marshes on the coast. You probably have those on the Texas coast too...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not George, but a canecutter is a southern name for the "Swamp Rabbit", close relative I believe for the snowshoe hare, much larger than cotton tails. So called because of their likeing of of river bottoms covered up with river cane, a bamboo relative I think.
Bouvier; You will not find a D Lefever in .410 either, the Ithaca, Nitro Special was made in .410, but not the "Real" Lefevers, they only built shotguns.
Not all of us have an urge for one.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

There are quite a few on Gunbroker. Probably some on Gunsamerica, if you can find them through the difficult mess they've made out of one of the formerly best sites. I've sent Gunsamerica some e-mails, telling them how much I dislike the new program. They responded like they were actually interested in my comments. Maybe if enough of us send them e-mails they will bring back the old, easy program. That's assuming others don't like it the new way, too.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank y'all for the canecutter lesson, my Father is from West Tennesee, so I know about a Swamp Rabbit. We may have some over in East Texas - but not around here.

As an aside, my Dad moved to Texas when he was about 16 years old, and brought his rabbit dog, a beagle. He took his pooch rabbit hunting and jumped up a Jack Rabbit, he said his dog just would look at the Jack and then turn and look at him, like what have you got me into.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, Bouvier,
I'm never really in the market for a 410, but I always keep an eye out for a nice one. I have a couple Lefever Nitro Specials in 410, a Crescent, and a nice plain barreled M42. After this season's success with one of the pretty little Nitro 410's, I may be looking for a Arrietta or similar next season.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't want a 410. I don't want a 28 gauge, either. Remington 17s are only 20 gauge guns.

When I was just a kid with a single shot 12, a neighbor of my folks who claimed a .410 was all one needed for grouse (I missed plenty with my little single 12) used to come home with questionable limits of grouse-say 50-75 for the weekend. This was before the TIP (turn in poachers) program. I found out from one of his kids that they hunted pretty far north on a big spread of private ground, and 'ol Pop only shot grouse out of the trees with, you guessed it, his 410.
The guy was and is a backyard breeder of Springers, I hope they got more work then picking up tree potted grouse, but, can't comment on that.
Never did like the guy, even before I found that out. I never warmed up to a 410, either. Plus, the price of ammunition sticks in my craw.
You guys can have mine.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
When I was 12 one of my Grandfathers gave me two trained rabbit beagles and a Marlin model 410 lever action .410 shotgun. I killed many a cottontail and canecutter with it and still use it every year for squirrels or something. Everyone needs a .410.

I know I'm loosing it now. I did a web search for Swamp Rabbit... Turns out they are potentially lethal!
http://www.newsoftheodd.com/article1021.html
George, with rabbits like that, you may need more than a .410

Pete

Bouvier Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

OK, OK ..... I should have checked the Rem site BEFORE I sent the check ..... The guy who "found" it for me found me a very nice Nitro 16 ..... at least I got the check back. I'll forgive him if he can find me a Nitro 410.

I check most of the usual places, though I've just about given up on GA. In addition to being a nice light bunny gun I want this gun to be something I can lend visitors for a walk in the woods ..... that lets them shoot without pain or the bigger bang of a 20 or 12. ..... and also because I think it will make me work a little harder to make good shots.

Al

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting there about that King of Jerusalem, Fulks, being my last name. Has always been debated whether my ancestors were German or French, but no mention of being Jewish. Sure do love Pork, Crawdads, & a lot of other "Unclean Creeping Things".

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Boxlock
Boxlock

I love the 410. I own several that I can recommend. Remington 1100 no choke tubes, H&R topper single shot, Remington 870 pump, and Beretta 687 EL Gold Pigeon II. I do not own a SxS yet in this guage, waiting for the right English or American gun. I think that this is one of the best guages for game farm birds.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.