After having hunted with a Filson waxed cotton vest for years I made a change last year to a Cabelas strap vest. Why? Well...the Filson is well made but has two features that are a bother....the brass strap buckles scratch/gouge gun metal/wood. and the game pouch is unlined and does not zip open, it's impossible to clean well and after a few years the game pouch become rank. Also, the straps would occasionally slip over my shoulder.

The Cabelas vest is not waxed, has an extra pocket on thr rest of the game pouch, the pouch is lined and zips open for easy cleaning. There is a center strap in the back that keeps the straps from slipping and the buckles are plastic and non gouging/scratching. Its really well designed and won't break the bank.

I've used Bean vests too, and they were nice, but I now prefer the cabelas vest(surprisingly as I'm not a huge cabelas products fan).

I also tried a Kevins vest and was shocked at the lack of quality, it was made from thin material and was generally poorly constructed....would've never held up on one trip to a real grouse covert. Was sent right back.

Last edited by gspspinone; 07/04/12 06:04 AM.