May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (greener4me), 549 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,549
Posts546,208
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The burden of proof that goes along with these guns, seems to be to high for all the work in finding 'em. Not every gun in one's cabinet is a go to gun for the field - some are just to have - this is where the doubt sets in.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne

The keen educated eye, is the gun dealers' best friend!
Soon after, we'll watch for the topic, "What's this beauty worth."

I still say you have it backwards...the keen un-educated eye is the gun dealers best friend.
The sharp dealer can convince the un-educated eye of those beautiful inards...and then tell the them "what the beauty is worth".

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hj - I don't disagree with you on :sharp" dealer's sales pitch. However, there are non-dealer guys out there who can easily form a valid opinion of the OQ of a gun, name or not. Not all big name guns are gems and not all no-namers are lumps of coal.

In the time of the German village gunmaker, everyone who could afford a gun (everyone wanted a gun) went to the village maker. Everyone knew who made everyone elses' gun - the village maker. It would, therefore, have been rude for the maker to have put his name on it. From the current USA viewpoint, that may not compute, but there have been other view points on guns than curent USA.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I realize the Germans had to have built a 'few' nice SxS shotguns....
I got my first Mauser 7x57 when I was 13 years old, a long time ago. Allot of guns have passed before my eyes since then.
When I think German guns I think about rifles and drillings not SxS's.

I'm having trouble seeing how a German village gunmaker putting his name on a gun would 'compute' to being rude, I'm all ears.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Are those German village makers the same guys that put British names on their clunker shotguns ?

I guess they didn't think it 'rude' to try and fool the world.

Sidelock
Sidelock

HJ - The German village makers built a lot of very nice guns in many different patterns, as did the German factory makers. I'm not aware of any German built clunkers, especially with Brit names on them. Belgian, yes. German, no.

As I said, the concept of the maker putting his name on the object is deeply ingrained in our USA view point. For the German village (think extended tribe), this is somewhat akin to saying to others, "You are too stupid to know where guns come from." Of course they knew the gun came from the village maker! I doubt that your mama signed every loaf of bread, cake and pie she made. She didn't need to because you knew where they came from.

Lord Lowell -
When the "Greatest Generation" cleaned out the dank back rooms in the pockmarked gingerbread Bavarian towns, the cream of the 'Guildies' came home in duffles, not oak & leather. Looking for "J.D. Bock nach Wien" and his ilk sharing the rib inscriptions can only be located by reviewing the "Mighty Eighth's" target rosters. Most of the tidy little shops collapsed into the craters of the 500-pounders as Adolf did his firedance. What care we of this legacy? Is out time not much better spent ferreting out the Kornbrath-engraved DHEs (how many did he do?) or fawning over the chemical analysis of the ink that Blessed Wilbur signed the letter with when he sloughed Nikki's A-1 Special to a local to finance the Meriden tinkerers for another year. In as sense, all 'Guildies", for sure. KBM

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

j0e, its the gun guy who thinks he knows it all - he's easy prey for the dealer! They play him with an all-knowning pat on his back, and a big boy howdy.
The semi-knowledgable gun guy will ask all the questions.
We all know one or two self-professed gun pros.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.