Gnomon wrote:
"An earlier post described the woman who took a handgun for an appraisal and got $35. My experience is that such behavior is not uncommon. I am a serious antiques and art collector and the BS I hear from these people is amazing.

And yes ignorance on one side of the transaction can make it not only immoral but also illegal. What the Colt dealer did was illegal in some (maybe all) states."

Gnomon what you are referring to are people who may be considered experts and professionals who when asked for an opinion/appraisal knowingly give false advice for personal gain. I am as appalled by that as anyone else.

A few have noted on here the level of knowledge we may have when compared to the general public on the subject of guns. I know that if ANYONE asked me for my best estimate of a value for a gun, that's what I would give, even if it was something I wished to acquire.

To me, there is a big difference to being asked to help arrive at a valuation and buying something for the price asked, after many others have passed over it, when the owner likely had the means and awareness that an appraisal might be in order and chose not to do it.

At the same time, I sure appreciate Ed's contribution to this discussion.

Perhaps it's because I have earned my living my entire life by buying and selling but at what point does it become my obligation to insist the seller become better informed? If the fair market value was 20K is it when they are up for sale at 15K? 10K? 5K? 2K?

Gnomon, I should have written "Ignorance on one side of the transaction doesn't necessarilly make it immoral. Or a rip off."

Last edited by canvasback; 06/22/12 08:53 AM. Reason: Additional comment

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia