May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (greener4me), 439 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,549
Posts546,208
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Could be, and can hear his rap now!
"Just look at those innards, they stand on their own, no matter if the craftsman has been lost in the maze of time."
"Why, its just as good as errrrrrrrrrr a Henry Atkin - yep it is"!
Well then, gimme two of 'em, says our slick buyer!

Sidelock
Sidelock

As someone who makes his living as a painter, the only paintings I don't sign are the ones I'm not happy with. I will generally destroy a painting I'm not happy with, although my standards are higher now than when I started out. If I am truly proud of my creation, you can be sure I will sign it. It's human nature. If someone goes to the effort of making a truly high quality gun, I see no reason why it would be unattributed, unless it was a guild policy not to do so, or the maker wasn't as enamored of it as we might be.

Similarly, I would doubt the paintings Rembrandt left unsigned were ones he thought that highly of either. Given that, a napkin with his signature on it would sell for outrageous $ now, simply because of his name.

Imagination is everything. - Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

While in the shop of the esteemed mR. Xed chsles a couple of months ago, I came across a plain but well made and wondeful handling little no-name Belgian boxlock ejector.
Thinking that at last, I had found a good gun that fit that I could possibly afford, I learned to my horror, that I was not the only one to know it was a good gun.
I couldn't have paid more than half of the best offer he'd had on it and there it remained. There's a lesson in that Lowell, from a man who has had more than a few Best Guns pass over his workbench.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

"And there it remained."
Not sold, but kept by Mr. "T", adder?
So anyhow!
I somehow get a little suspicious when the keen eyes find all these no-name wonders. Why its almost like the rest of us are babes in the back of the turnip truck.
The real cut to the chase is, that these guns are priced where most can take a chance, if they're into such things.
No harm, nor foul if they're out a grand or less.
Its the real deal, if they're out 10K for the almost as good as gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Alder adder
While in the shop of the esteemed mR. Xed chsles a couple of months ago, I came across a plain but well made and wondeful handling little no-name Belgian boxlock ejector.
Thinking that at last, I had found a good gun that fit that I could possibly afford, I learned to my horror, that I was not the only one to know it was a good gun.
I couldn't have paid more than half of the best offer he'd had on it and there it remained. There's a lesson in that Lowell, from a man who has had more than a few Best Guns pass over his workbench.

Maybe he'll post some pictures I'd love to see it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lowell, he kept it and said it was his "Loaner gun".
He said that he was offered $4000 for it.
Obviously, he wasn't trying to unload it.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Everyone needs a good loaner, but I don't know if that means much.
When my Dan'l Fraser ran out of cartridges(one in the rifle, and four in my pocket is all I had that day), a gent who I was shooting crows with, offered-up his back-up SKS.
I passed on that idea!

Last edited by Lowell Glenthorne; 02/26/07 07:43 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Per LG's original hypothesis, no, absolutely not. But the name, or lack there of, does impact market price. When working on the influence of brand name value in the Brit/Continental gun trades, I identified five factors that seem to strongly influence brand value: social acceptance/patronage, total production, % of high original quality production, firm longivity, and firm creativity. Since all makers, with the possible exception of Boss, made/sold a range of guns of differing original quality under their brand, it is necessary to identify the original quality grade of the gun, along with the current condition, to determine the market value.

"Did Mortimer Snerd make good guns?" is a typical question indicative of over reliance on the brand name. So, if there is no brand name how do you value the gun? Unknowns/no-namers fit to Brand Value level five (BV5). That means that original quality and current condition being equal, they are worth 1/8 of a BV1 (A pristine Purdey best SLE is about $40,000 and a pristine best SLE with no name is worth about $5,000). That said, one still has to develop the skill and knowledge to identify OQ grades and CC levels. So, IMO, there are gems out there for the knowledgable and/or the lucky.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

How knowledgable and lucky can you be if you buy that pristine beats the hell outta me gem that is only worth 1/8 of one of the world's greatest guns.
You'd think the knowledgable/lucky should beat those odds!

Last edited by Lowell Glenthorne; 02/26/07 06:01 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

LG - I don't believe that current used market price alone is an accurate reflection of Original Quality grade. Brand name has an 8 fold influence on price and Original Quality grade and Current Condition each has a 20 fold influence. Therefore, the price envelope from pristine best SLE by a BV1 maker to a wall hanger colonial/farmer grade BLNE with no name on it is 3200X. I don't "disagree" with market prices - it just is what it is. So, high quality can be had at relativly modest price - if you look for it independently of the name on the gun.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.