June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
2 members (Jtplumb, 1 invisible), 425 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,574
Posts546,487
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#280674 06/07/12 10:51 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Houdini's D'Hurlain Pre (Wind'em)

Today was my dog Wind'em's last.

Windy has been a joy to look after these past 4 years since we adopted him from the kennel we bought Scout, our other Llewellin, from and he remained quite healthy and active until very recently. But he has declined quite rapidly over the last month and it has become clear it is time. Born June 2, 1998, at 14 years we feel like he has had a good, long and healthy life.

Elegant, self possessed, gentle with all, he won the hearts of most every person and dog he came into contact with. Perhaps it came from a life spent in a good kennel but he was masterful in handling any dog, whether an aggressive, dominant adult or a frisky and untrained puppy. And there wasn't a person who didn't remark on what a beautiful, gentle and friendly dog he was.

Until we took him, Windy had spent his life at stud. Not a bad life I suppose, an endless parade of ladies to keep him occupied but he seemed happy to retire and come and join our family. He was a great companion to Scout, doing his best to keep that young pup in line. Our son Gordon is close to both dogs. Where Gordon went, so did the dogs and so they were a great constant in Gordon's life as our family went through the recent turmoil of establishing separate households.

Wind'em was known in the Llewellin community throughout North America as a successful stud, with blood lines as pure as can be had. He is a direct descendant of Count Noble, perhaps the most famous hunting dog in history, known in the 1880's as the "$10,000 dog" and the only dog ever honoured by an obituary in the New York Times. Windy's sire, Gladstone Wind'em, was from the kennel founded by the originator of the breed, Purcell Llewellin, which still exists today.

While very different in many respects from my other three Llewellins, I suspect those differences are only evident to those with experience with this great breed. Like all I have come to know, Wind'em had that special something that all Llewellins seem to have and has drawn me to the breed.

My only regret was never having the opportunity to work the fields and forest with him when he was younger. When I adopted him from the kennel at age 10, the breeder asked me not to hunt him. He did, however, spend many hours in the fields with me, just never with a gun.

All of you who have dogs know how difficult a time this can be. Having had to make this decision now 4 times, I can attest to the fact it doesn't get easier with experience. Despite only having Windy for 4 years, he was a loved and valued member of our little family. He will be missed.

Regards,

James

Last edited by canvasback; 06/07/12 11:07 AM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sad to hear

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello James,

It is indeed sad!

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

James - Any member of the family is a major loss. Please run right out and get a puppy!!! I feel your pain. Kind regards,
Dave

Black and Tan
Unregistered
Black and Tan
Unregistered

You have my deepest sympathies. I lost my Gordon girl at 14 and change last month. I come home from work every day expecting her to meet me at the gate...

Sidelock
Sidelock

James,
Sorry to hear of your loss. I've never had to deal with this, but with two dogs, it's likely in my future.

Regards
Chuck

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had setters my entire 66 years and know a great setter head when I see one. That is one great setter head.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"There is sorrow enough in the natural way
From men and women to fill our day

But when we are certain of sorrow in store
Why do we always arrange for more?

Brothers and sisters I bid you beware
Of giving your heart to a dog to tear"

Rudyard Kipling

I,too, am sorry for your loss......George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

In some ways, I have oft thot the quality of a man's life may be judged by the number of good dogs he is allowed to share and consort with.

Like important people in our lives, they leave behind both holes and memories to fill them.

Breath deeply of the latter when they have departed and hold them close while you can.

Windy looks like a guy I would have liked knowing, most sorry to hear of his leaving your company, James.

CJO Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

James...sorry to hear, not an easy thing to have to go through mine just turned ten last week, I've started to see the grey in her whiskers, i'm dreading the thought.
And their only fault is the they dont live long enough
Just remember, unlike us...all dogs go to heaven!

Claudio

The taste of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.........
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.