Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#280137 06/02/12 11:22 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I did some trading today for 2 matching side lock Spanish 20 gauges. I was told that they were made in 1967. The wood is very plain,and the pads are as hard as a rock. am hoping someone can tell me something about the maker.They are marked ARMAS URBIOLA Hns ELGOIBAR. I have posted a couple of pictures. I am sure they are not the best Spanish guns but would like feedback.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice guns, those.

Jose Luis Urbiola was one of the smaller makers, and made some very nice guns. I could possibly say more about those guns if the you could share some photos that show the barrel flats and water table markings more clearly.

The guns look to be about a middle price point, maybe something similar to a catalog year 1990, model 160. Here is another Urbiola, for comparison:

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Kyrie,

I will take some more pictures and post tonight. Both guns are pistol grip, with semi-beavertail forends. The inside of the locks look identical to your picture. Wood is very plain, but checked at about 28 Lines per inch. The finish needs to be redone. Not worn a lot but finish has come off in large areas. I will also check out your forum.
Regards,
Phil

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've made out one date code (M*1) which corresponds to 1967. Can't read it on the other barrel flat.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I will try to get better pictures today. The guns are only one S/N a part.It seems that the information I was given was correct that they were made in 1967. I was also told that the guns were ordered in Spain and not imported Under a a US company that sold the guns under their name. This at least seems correct on the surface as there are no other company names engraved on the guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

But a pistol grip and semi-beavertail is more of an American configuration than a European one. Are there sling swivels?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes, these guns have sling swivels.The stoy goes that the old man that ordered the guns was in Spain and ordered the guns to match. One for himself and one for his son. Long story short, they were used for a while and then they sat for years in a closet until they were given to the person I bought them from.
Pads are Hy-Gun red pads. Flat and hard as a brick. I have decided to strip the finish and install new pads. Then reapply a new fish after some repairs to a few cracks I found.The metal and wood work looks very good.
It appears that the Pads were glued on and installed with 2 small brads. I would have thought they would have been screwed on. Possibly the pads were installed in the USA.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Phillip, whatever, they are nice-looking guns. I've refinished the wood on several Spanish shotguns. The old stuff generally comes off easy. Steam out dings, judicious use of non-pigmented stain may help bring out grain. These stains are dyes, not pigments and will not give a murky appearance that the ordinary hardware or paint store stain will.

If I may suggest, New England Custom Guns have a really neat pad system that is removable. I've used it on a lot of guns and it works great.

You will have a slick-looking pair of shotguns when done!

max Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Phillip, have the levers on your guns turned a plum, purple or is that the lighting from the picuture?

Thanks

Max

Sidelock
Sidelock

Unless I'm not seeing it correctly, I read your chambers as "76" which would indicate the potential for 3" mags. I cannot make out the pressure rating though. You might be able to stuff a longer shell into that tube, but I would caution you to be judicious in the loadings you choose.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.