June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
6 members (SKB, mark, Chuckster, Don Zahringer, 2 invisible), 415 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,586
Posts546,749
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nothing wrong with the blank, he has just placed the template incorrectly.
If the template was reversed and turned upside down, you would have proper grain flow thru the wrist and down thru the toe.
Best regards,
JBP

keith #279798 05/30/12 10:05 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith
The pattern outlined on the blank pictured shows the grain in the head running about forty degrees off perpendicular. This is far from perfect and I think one could do much better for $550.00. This is what I've often seen from this seller in his Ebay auctions, but some are laid out much better. Anyone who has ever taken blanks out of slabs of walnut knows that mother nature isn't necessarily thinking about gunstocks, and most is better suited to other uses ranging from furniture to firewood.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I would be very interested in finding out more about how one arrives at the conclusions you state (though I certainly agree with your last sentence). I'm not being a wiseass, rather, I'm looking to get educated on this. Grain flow and layout for gunstocks has long mystified me.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
I'm not being a wiseass, rather, I'm looking to get educated on this. Grain flow and layout for gunstocks has long mystified me.

DIM - here is a great source of information on blank selection and stockmaking:

Double Guns and Custom Gunsmithing, Steven Dodd Hughes

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The problem with too many stock layout by sellers is that they are laid out to catch the eye, not withstand normal, or worse, abnormal use. Do not just look at the fancy grain in the side of the stock and not look at minor fact that both ends are a crack waiting to happen.

When I buy a stock I want to see all six views. Often what looks like a good stock from both faces will have very bad grain flow from above or below. If the grain flow is side to side in the grip area leave it alone. It just will crack later. The grain flow needs to be straight along the both faces and above an below. Do not fall in love with a pretty face. A stock with perfect face grain flow and bad grain flow on the top or bottom is still a bad blank.

I also want to see the end views to see if the nice grain goes all the way across the blank. I have seen many blanks with heavy marbling on the face with almost no marbling in the center. Might just be on the face or you could end up with a exhibition blank that gets very ordinary after shaping. Sometimes you find a blank that gets better in the center or if kept to one side.

Most stocks on EBay have a decent side and if lucky a slightly less than decent side in their layout. Guys, you need to remember that you are buying stocks that have been picked over by several others and this is the inventory that was left over. The best has been cherry picked, the next level has been bought if deemed workable at a reduced price. Most of what you see on EBay is the bottom third of what is cut. There may be a few exceptions but not many.

It took me about 50 stocks, bought over the net, before I learn what to buy and what to avoid. After my education I ended up with about a dozen keepers out of the lot. If you like you can come over to see my wood rack and see the mistakes and the non mistakes.

Another major mistake was buying green wood. Do not buy green wood and age it. Let the seller take the risk of all the checking, cracks and warping. Out of the ten crotch walnut blanks maybe two dried into stocks that can be used. Wax, paint, sealers, all lessen checking but it still happens. My best solution was to dip the entire stock in wax and let it dry two years, then remove the wax and let it dry two more years. Lot easier to buy a dry stock in the first place.

And last no stock is dry until you own it for years and keep it dry. "Dry" is not stable. Wood needs to be dried, then allowed to stabilize and remain stable before use. Sellers who dry wood in a kiln, or boil it to speed drying are not to be bought from. Air dried, left for several years after the wood has been dried and then kept in your local for a year or two.

Think this is over kill? No. Cut a blank in humid Oregon or out of a heavily irrigated area in CA, dry it it Vegas or some other desert climate, buy it and send it to a stocker in CA or PA, and then have it delivered to semi humid KY. I can tell you for a certain fact it will not be a perfect restock job after a few months or a year. I had a Smith restocked with just such wood. It had been cut, dried for several years, verified that moisture content was "perfect" by the stocker, then shaped and fit to my gun. After one year it had to be reinletted. The stocker figured the wood was in fact over dried along the way. I was never happy with the job and ended up selling it for a major loss. Lesson learned, good wood takes time and needs to age before use.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Jon:

Great post!

Your experience mirrors mine in every detail!

Thanks for posting.
Franchi

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The USDA requires that insects be killed by heat on imported wood. It is my understanding that is the reason for blanks being heated with steam or boiling water.
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is a two-way street and we cannot export to the EU unless the wood is treated. However, I do not think the regs apply to hardwood - they largely involve shipping pallets and containers. Pressedwood and plywood are also not involved since they are insect-free.

Antiques dealers and museums use a dry heat to kill worm infestation.

There are lengthy regulations about this that you can Google.

Gnomon #279880 05/31/12 11:35 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Gnomon
This is a two-way street and we cannot export to the EU unless the wood is treated. However, I do not think the regs apply to hardwood - they largely involve shipping pallets and containers. Pressedwood and plywood are also not involved since they are insect-free.

Antiques dealers and museums use a dry heat to kill worm infestation.

There are lengthy regulations about this that you can Google.

This is consistent with my experience trying to ship a blank to Spain. Others here and on other forums, however, have indicated that they have been able to ship blanks abroad without treatment (methyl bromide - which is not a cheap process).

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

This particular seller has sold some very nice high grade wood on Ebay over the years. However, the current wood being sold by this seller isn't near the quality (or the price) of what he sold in the past. These are indeed the picked over pieces that not many folks want/need. I did note for a period of time that many of the blanks were listed as being steamed. That's not a good thing for sure.

foxes rule
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.