Originally Posted By: Doverham
Let's take this discussion in another direction. I think we can all learn something from Justice Scalia on this issue. Outreach and education. We need to be mindful that gun ownership is guaranteed in a document that can be changed by political process - the god-given right to drink was denied to Americans for a few years due to a consitutional amendment, after all.

As gun rights advocates, we should spend less time behaving like Charlton Heston and more time following Justice Scalia's lead. Most (roughly 65%) Americans don't own guns and many have never even handled one. If these non-owners have qualms about gun ownership, it is based on that lack of experience and the nonsense they see in Hollywood movies and video games. I would argue that popular entertainment today is the biggest threat to gun rights in the US - it is all black guns and dead bodies. (And if you want to talk about hypocrisy, how about those Hollywood producers making big money on Bruce Willis movies and publicly condemning gun violence and gun rights?) What was the last movie that you saw involving a Fox or Parker or Woodward taking upland game?

To answer your last question first, I had occasion to see a really sappy movie (IIRC, it was called "Morning Glory") within the last 6 months. This one was a typical chick flick with Harrison Ford as a cranky old TV newsman and Diane Keaton opposite him, with some young actress (playing a TV producer) trying to drag him back to work. She goes out and finds him walking up pheasants carrying a nice sidelock sxs, dressed appropriately (he'd fit in here), hunting over a Gordon in a realistic-looking cover (but for it being too warm and summery). And he actually does shoot safely on a flushed bird (that action takes place off-stage), and you get to see the dog work a bit, too. I think the stage decoration was meant to convey a lazy dilettante with too much money and time on his hands who needs to get back to work, yadda yadda.

I got lassoed into watching it b/c one of my Gordon Setter friends insisted I had to see the dog. Nice dog. After the dog was out of the picture, I dozed off.

But, as you make clear, that's the exception. The rule is black guns and carnage. That sells - no interpreters or subtitles needed.

As to being a Scalia rather than a Heston - that was my point earlier. You'll win more with honey than vinegar.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent