June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
4 members (OldMaineWoodsman, craigd, obsessed-with-doubles, 1 invisible), 392 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,614
Posts547,006
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Red forever Loctite softens at about 350 F. The hot rod/soldering iron approach should work on either epoxy or Loctite.

W. E. Boyd
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, I just try with the electrical soldering pistol and all the screws are in the same place (they refuse to move!)
I aply the heat over the screw head with the soldering pistol for a couple of minutes; the metal around turns warm and the brillant glue now is dull, but the screws do not move.
What do you think: apply the soldering pistol for more time?
I am afriad to damage the components inside the scope (a Swarosky).

I still need your advise.

Best,

Jose M. Fernandez
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you insert a heated allen wrench into the screw socket, you will get more effective heating of the screw because the allen wrench has more surface contact than either a rod or a soldering tip.

Another more aggressive alternative would be to chuck a section of allen wrench into a low-torque impact driver (such as a 12V cordless tool from Dewalt or Makita or Milwaukee) and try to back the screws out. Be sure you have a good fit between the wrench and the socket.

Sidelock
Sidelock

And if you have access to liquid nitrogen, you could zap the screw quickly from room temperature to shrink it and that might break the epoxy bond.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I sympathize here- this is not some lower-end rifle and scope. I have a pre-Garcia Sako L579 Forrester in .243Win that is my favorite woodchuck rifle-It is in the original Sako scope rings, I never use Loctite (Blue is best I hear) unless I am in a rifle over 30-06 range-- say a .338Win Mag or a W'By Mag- for the extra recoil- and although I prefer Leupold Vari-X111 scopes on all my non-military Center Fire bolt rifles, a Swavroski, a Zeiss or a Schmidt and Bender- all are "top shelf" optics-- assuming the sako scope rings and bases are steel, and I can see why you want to remove the scope intact- and the heat input techniques others have tried do not work- I would stay away from the Allen wrench in a cordless drill- set for the slip clutch and in reverse and in low speed range-I think you may well need to have a gunsmith carefully drill out the screws the other person (foolishly, it would seem) expoxied and caused this problem-- Reminds me of the sad story of a friend who was never much at reading instructions- he decided to Acra-Glas bed his Rem 700 in .270Win., but never used the blue release agent on the metal, as Brownell's recommends- Ooops!! Anyway, good luck with this, both the scope and the Sako are worth the effort, even if you have to "kiss the mounts bye-bye"!!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you have access to a hand held infrared temp sensor it will ease your mind about how hot the rings are getting.

Sam Welch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Right on. I think its a good idea to locktite the screws holding the scope mounts on so they don't work loose on a hunt.
On a hard recoiling rifle like the 9.3x62 I had I drilled out the screw holes and tapped for 8x40 screws rather than the puny 6x48 screws originally on the gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A problem with applying heat is that aluminum is a great heat conductor and heat sink. That being the case the heat you so carefully apply to the screw is rapidly going to transfer to the aluminum mount. I think Mike Bonner has the best idea, carefully drill out the old screws and retap with larger screws. Or you could carefully drill the heads off the screws, and then with the scope safely removed from the mounts you could use a butane torch to apply heat directly to the screws and grip the remaining screw stubs with vice-grips to remove.
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

you may have to drill the tops of the screws just eneough to break the shoulder
this should leave enough screw protruding to remove after the scope is out of the way and allow you tu use a little heat to break the epoxy

Sidelock
Sidelock

oops thats why one shouldn't go off and do some things before posting sorry about that Rockdoc beat me to it

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.