June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jusanothajoe, LetFly, SKB, DaveB, Argo44, 1 invisible), 388 guests, and 36 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,574
Posts546,482
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Small Bore
All the sale price at auction will tell you is what that gun was worth on that day in that room.

Truer words were never spoken, for if those particular bidders had not been there the gun would not have brought what it did.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think much depends on the condition of the original stock. Remember when BO-WHOOP came in to Jim Kelly's shop with a broken re-stock, a new and properly made stock was definitely called for. The old stock was saved, which in any event would enhance the desirability and thus the value, although not usable on the gun.

Best Regards, George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought a few double guns with broken/butchered stocks. A Parker GH, a Fox AE, and a Ithaca 3E. All have been restocked nicely. All have enhanced value from the 'as purchased' condition.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the input and replies.

Of course my little test isn't an apples-to-apples comparison. But I think it will give us a sense of things.

In the original string on this topic, the following statement was made:

"If a new stock has been done absolutely correctly, forend too, it will not adversely affect the value of the gun."

And in this string the same person said:

"Of course, a re-stocked and re-barreled gun will make less than a totally original, totally mint example with the same dimensions."

So which is it? Will it, or will it not affect the value?

As long as the new bbls are done "absolutely correctly", wouldn't the same apply to them?

I don't see why the "it will not adversely affect the value of the gun" reasoning would apply to the stock and not the bbls (as long as all work is done to top standards).

OWD

BTW: doesn't every sale shows what something is worth at that point in time to the individual who is a buyer? I don't see why are auctions are different.

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

OWD, you really don't specify, that I can see, what kind of a gun is being restocked. If the original stock is broken or bad for some reason, then a new stock would increase the value.

If the original stock was fine, factory original, the the stock was then replaced, the value of the gun would probably go down.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Daryl Hallquist
OWD, you really don't specify, that I can see, what kind of a gun is being restocked. If the original stock is broken or bad for some reason, then a new stock would increase the value.

If the original stock was fine, factory original, the the stock was then replaced, the value of the gun would probably go down.

Very good point. Stocks and barrels are "usually" replaced for a very good reason, that being, the originals are so damaged that it makes the gun useless for either shooting or collecting. Unless the job was done by an incompetent gunsmith, the vast majority of re-stocks/re-barrel jobs I have seen have added value to the gun, as opposed to what it's value/condition was before the restoration.

Unless the gun has a specific historical significance, I have yet to see a gun with terribly pitted or otherwise damaged barrels, and/or a significantly damaged stock, that is worth more than it would be if the appropriate repairs/restoration were made by a competent gunsmith.

“I left long before daylight, alone but not lonely.”~Gordon Macquarrie
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

OK.

Here's an example. Purdey at Cabela's gun library

This Purdey needs a total re stock and new bbls.

I think it will cost you $20-$25,000 to get all the work done right - maybe more.

When all the work is done, the gun may be worth more than $12,000, but it won't be worth same as a good, all original Purdey with comparable condition.

That's what I believe, anyway.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: obsessed-with-doubles
OK.

Here's an example. Purdey at Cabela's gun library

This Purdey needs a total re stock and new bbls.

I think it will cost you $20-$25,000 to get all the work done right - maybe more.

When all the work is done, the gun may be worth more than $12,000, but it won't be worth same as a good, all original Purdey with comparable condition.

That's what I believe, anyway.

OWD

I guess this is the line of thinking I have never understood about this topic. Given this specific gun, you say it needs new barrels and a total re-stock. Ok, so if you don't think it is worth the $25,000 to have the work done (which I'm assuming you mean by Purdey themselves due to the price), what is the gun worth as it is? In your opinion it is worth a net of $0 (or a negative value) because it it would cost more to have it restored than what it is worth. We might as well saw it in half and throw it in the dumpster. I would argue it would have more value than it currently does, it if was expertly sleeved for somewhere around $2000-$3000. Not sure why it needs a total re-stock, unless I missed something other than the hideous rubber recoil pad which is another argument altogether.

I guess my only point is that I believe the gun would have more value than it currently does if it was restored to be a shooter, which is what it was designed to be. How much more? I don't know, but I think you could certainly re-coup the cost of the sleeving and make a small profit. As opposed to it's current condition of possibly not being shootable.

As for looking at this gun as a collector piece only, you opinions might very well be right. But to answer the main question of this thread, I do believe value could be added to this gun by having certain repairs done.

“I left long before daylight, alone but not lonely.”~Gordon Macquarrie
Sidelock
Sidelock

...depends.

I have a nice Philly AE that had a broken stock. I had it replaced with a higher grade of wood that you might normally find on an "as delivered" non-special order, AE gun. Also, the checker pattern was done in an X grade.

My untested opinion is that it's probably worth more than the average run of the mill, 3" DAH, short LOP, roughed up, AE gun. I think I can get my money out of it too.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is a "noticeable impression" the same as a dent? :-0

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.