I can see an issue with some of the "antique" and C&R candidates.

For a gun to be classified as either, date of manufacture has to be definitivly established. Additionally, the responsibility to comply rests on both the seller and buyer. Penalties for violation, or at least the threat of penalties, are percieved as very high.

So, Cabelas would be responsible to ensure the data they are using to verify date of manufacture is accurate. In the case of "antique" classification, that means finding 113 year old data on a gun, verifying it to their own satisfaction (since they are sticking their neck out) and getting the potential buyer to agree the data is valid. Being wrong on a determination of DOM is just an unacceptable risk, given the severe penalty potential.

So, if Cabelas (or anyone else) believes they are ever charged with not complying with the laws governing the sale of antiques or C&Rs, they may not think commonly available DOM s/n lists from the internet are an adequate defense...and so they just do all their sales via modern gun laws. Kinda makes my C&R seem a little neutered if DOM lists that the ATF officially endorses don't exist. On the other hand, it's common for our regulators to put the burden of proof on the public, regardless of our rights.

Everyone involved with gun sales are snugged up hard enough to squirt diamonds out of their axe, given all the history, public outcry, etc., and media attention. I can see that. I don't like it anymore than anyone else here.

Last edited by Chuck H; 04/05/12 03:14 PM.