I have not had an FFL for about the last 20 years. When I did have one the REGS were very plainly written; If the receiver was made prior to 1899 it was "Antique" with no restrictions applied. A reproduction was antique only if it did not fire a readily obtainable cartridge or was a Muzzle Loader. Thus if a repro Henry rifle was made to fire an original .44 Henry rimfire it would have been classed as antique, but not if chambered for .44 Special or similar. The C&R class has been greatly expanded since those days, the 50 year rule had not yet been enacted. If a gun was not "Listed" in the C&R category, application could be made to "Attempt" to get one declared so. The 50 year ruling solved most of that. Sounds like a lot of dealers are applying totally out-dated rules in regards to the C&R guns. I don't believe much has changed on the Antique classification.
An 1893 Spanish Mauser firing the 7x57 cartridge is an Antique (assuming build date prior to 1899), but a 1916 Spanish Mauser firing the same 7x57 cartridge is a C&R gun now, thogh it was not always so.
Its really not all that complicated if one "WANTS" to understand it.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra