All,

I realize that we are beating dead horses here & this will be my last post on this subject but Mr Dup asked for specifics as to "build quality isues" so here goes.

As to Foxes (to the best of my memory). If I had known that I would need to defend my opinion I would have kept a log with dates & serial numbers but unfortunately I didn't.

2 that I considered for purchase & rejected because the bbls were not struck well & the ribs had ripples (I'm not talking about the matting but the straightness of the ribs). Both of these guns looked to be new & unused.

One that I specificaly remember that had to be slammed shut for the bolt to lock closed. Looked to me to be an unused gun.

5 or 6 guns that had loose forends that rattled against the bbls when you picked them up and squeezed the forend against the bbls. Some of these guns were actually CSMC display guns & another potential customer commented on this also while we were standing at the display and was told by a CSMC employee "These are display guns. Yours won't be like that"

The others I that can remember were rejected on subjective opinion as to general fit & finish. Subjectively I've seen some guns that I thought were quite well done but were not configured as I wanted.

As to CSMC 21 guns, my own personal gun was delivered with a loose forend (creaked & rattled againt the bbls), forend wood .072" proud of the metal at the bottom of the forend iron(looked like what you would expect on a Stevens 311), safety fitted so loose it had no positive detent in the safe position. Trigger pulls adjusted with the right bbl pull significantly heavier than the left(not the way it's supposed to be & if you don't beleive me read Schwing's Winchester 21 book on how Model 21 single triggers are supposed to be set up and why). CSMC did correct these issues but took 5 months to do it returned the gun with misstimed & buggered up screws & one of the screw counterbores in the forend latch plate burred up because someone @ CSMC used a screwdriver that was too wide to fit within the counterbore. When I complained they told me they would correct it but I would have to send the gun back at my expense (again). After 5 years of shooting I have used up almost all of the locking bolt adjustment to keep the bbls from rattling against the frame. What this means to me is that the gun was not actioned properly in the first place & the bolt is doing all of the work holding the bbls against the frame.. Based on my past experience with returning the 21 to CSMC I really dread sending it back to have it rejointed when I have the bolt adjustment screw totally bottomed out.

It does look nice, makes a good clays gun & I've had no other issues with it.

The issues with my CSMC 21 are minor compared to the problems a friend of mine has experienced with his but I'll leave any comments up to him if he wishes to expose himself to criticism on this forum.

I wanted to edit this post to clean up some typos & add a few clarification points to a post written in haste & add one final point that Cliff W. already touched on.

I do like the concept CSMC has of offering bespoke versions of American classics like the Fox & Winchester 21 shotguns & I don't want to see CSMC go away. I would still like a bespoke Fox & if I thought the probability was higher that I would be satisfied with the gun upon delivery I would order one from CSMC.

I do think (again "opinion" but I'm obviously not alone on this) that CSMC has some issues re. quality control & customer service that need to be addressed & I hope that they do address them. Not mentioning this when someone asks for an opinion on CSMC Fox guns is a diservice to everyone interested including CSMC. I really get tired of reading "all is wonderfull" reviews & comments on guns, cars & other things I have an interest in.

Last edited by Brittany Man; 03/18/12 05:08 PM.