June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 249 guests, and 23 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,572
Posts546,459
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: King Brown
This was face-to-face with customs at point of delivery by a person who had done his and their homework, with their official documents as evidence. Generally no one wants to look stupid. They gave him the gun. A pleasant nature and quiet assurance helps. It works for me with customs.

I tried the same approach several years ago when I attempted to legally ship a shotgun via the Naperville, IL post office. The morons still refused to ship it. I finally went over to the neighboring community of Lisle IL and shipped it from their post office. It's stuff like that that makes me glad I no longer live in Illinois (among many other things to numerous to list). It's a shame too because I miss my many friends who still live in that state.

Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I lived in Naperville for several years back in the late 70s early 80s when the town was expanding rapidly.
Illinois in my rearview mirror was one of the happiest days in my life.
Rockdoc:
We're you in Naperville when the "Newcomers" tried the get the local trap and skeet facility closed down? Of course this facility had been open for years before these Johnnny Come Latelys moved there. I believe this incident along with the Lake Shore Drive range forced closing were two of the reasons Gov. Jim Thompson* grandfathered all existing shooting facilities in the State.
Jim
*BTW: He is one of the few ex-governors of Illinois either not currently in jail or scheduled to go to jail shortly. smirk

Last edited by italiansxs; 03/16/12 01:39 PM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim,
The gun club was attacked by one neighbor who claimed that it was causing lead contamination to his 1200' private well. As a professional geologist and an 18 year veteran environmental consultant in IL, I can say without reservation that his law suit had absolutely no merit and his accusations were totally unfounded. Nonetheless, because of that suit the Naperville SC had to switch to steel shot only. Then to add insult to injury this bozo, after causing so much expense and trouble up and dies!

Jim, let's both put Illinois behind us and not hi-jack this thread any further.

Steve

Last edited by Rockdoc; 03/16/12 03:23 PM.

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: skeettx
Pictures please

Y'all have seen pictures of this gun before.

http://www.vintageshotgun.com/index.php/category/london-guns/james-purdey/

Last year when Tony mentioned his plans to restore the 1873 Purdey, I reached out and told him the year 1873 - and the English connection - held special sentimental meaning to me, and if he ever wanted to sell the gun I'd buy it.

Now the Ballistix Purdey holds a special place in my little collection and thanks to some great luck and decent planning, she arrived without a problem.

FWIW - Tony takes some great photographs of his guns, but the photos barely do justice to the work that was actually done!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

There are a couple benefits to living in a metropolis - not many - but I guess a close Customs office is one. As for shipping charges, you're number is a bit high. It's probably closer to half that, at least for me, which was a simple 2-hop flight. I'm sure they charge by how easy/hard it is to get to you. Newark is probably a lot cheaper than Omaha...

Originally Posted By: Daryl Hallquist
Hammer Guy,you are lucky to live near an airport that has a Customs Office. Here the same caper might involve a double 4 1/2 hour drive. What was the cost of your air freight ? In my experience, since the English mail [Parcel Force] stopped shipping firearms, the air freight companies sort of charge anything they want. Last air freight quote I have seen is around 700 dollars. Quite a bit for a ten pound package.

Hammer Guy,you are lucky to live near an airport that has a Customs Office. Here the same caper might involve a double 4 1/2 hour drive. What was the cost of your air freight ? In my experience, since the English mail [Parcel Force] stopped shipping firearms, the air freight companies sort of charge anything they want. Last air freight quote I have seen is around 700 dollars. Quite a bit for a ten pound package.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rockdoc
Jim,
The gun club was attacked by one neighbor who claimed that it was causing lead contamination to his 1200' private well. As a professional geologist and an 18 year veteran environmental consultant in IL, I can say without reservation that his law suit had absolutely no merit and his accusations were totally unfounded. Nonetheless, because of that suit the Naperville SC had to switch to steel shot only. Then to add insult to injury this bozo, after causing so much expense and trouble up and dies!

Jim, let's both put Illinois behind us and not hi-jack this thread any further.

Steve

Agreed Steve:
I am hoping we can come out of this thread with as much practical information on importing antique and C&R eligible firearms from Europe as possible.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

From me, I could not have wished for a more deserving owner of that gun. It really did make me feel like it has landed home. I felt fine about it too because I have a new Purdey for my son.

I know it will be looked after and am so very happy that you have it.

Regards,
Tony

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hammer Guy, thanks. Which Airline or Air Freight Carrier did you use ? I used Northwest Airlines from England to Great Falls , Mt.,, where the Customs Office was located. As I remember, it was a stop in Minneapolis and then a single flight to Great Falls.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

AG&L used United. Not sure if they have an account, shopped it, or what. Guess price could depend on volume too. Probably a lot more stuff arriving at my local airport than yours.

Hammer Guy, thanks. Which Airline or Air Freight Carrier did you use ? I used Northwest Airlines from England to Great Falls , Mt.,, where the Customs Office was located. As I remember, it was a stop in Minneapolis and then a single flight to Great Falls.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl, the last gun I had shipped in cost about $375 in shipping.
That's Heathrow to Dulles.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.