Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe this is Star Damascus. And it looks like the barrel above.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nope!!

This is a poor picture of a really poor set of 16-gauge B-Grade Baltimore Arms Co. barrels, but this is Star or also known as Etoile Damascus. The late Dr. Gaddy was always going to refinish these but it never got around to happening. You can see the clusters of "star" just left of the reflection from the flash.

Last edited by Researcher; 02/18/07 09:24 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Silvers, your pattern looks like Fine Damascus Three Rod, 67% steel, like Revdocdrew stated.

Dave, I don't know how many different manufacturers there were for the different grades of Damascus. In the new book "The Legend Lives" by John Houchins there are pictures. The ones you are showing, it looks to me like two different kinds. The one on the right looks like Chain Damascus 4 stripe 60% steel. The one on the left look like Finist Damascus Three Rod, 70% steel.
This book is about L.C. Smiths and the finist grade was Choice Damascus-Herring Bone Pattern, Three Rod 70% steel. Like I stated before I don't know if other gun manufacturers used the same companies for their Damascus barrels.
States in the book that the very best Damascus barrels were made and imported from England, although Hunter Arms Co. did import Damascus barrels from Belgium.

Last edited by JDW; 02/18/07 10:11 PM.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe that the pattern on the C grade Remington was star damascus. I had the opportunity to buy one for about $200 in the early 1980's. The gun was almost new except for a crack in the stock around the wrist. I went back to the same gunshop a year later and to my suprise they still had it but the price was higher. This was up in Maine. I didn't have the money either time. It is one of my most regretfull gun buying opportunities. I still remember that vivid damascus finnish with the little clusters of stars in the pattern.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Researchers pictures don't really show the star Damascus as clearly as it can be shown. You will know the "star" pattern when you see it. It is as clear as the stars on the flag. As is par for the course, I did not buy the most wonderful 10 gauge "star Damascus" Lefever you could imagine several years ago.

Sidelock
Sidelock

1894 AE

Sidelock
Sidelock

Odd that "this is not the star pattern usually found on Lefevers" given that this is the same photo Silvers posted of his Lefever G on another current post, right down to the ding top left breech wall. I don't know white "stars" from black and itty-bitty from big but I'm not convinced that this isn't a typical Lefever barrelset of its period.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

What is the composition of the later matted ribs? Homogenous steel?

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rabbit, don't know if the "later," was the Remington 1894 picture, but if so, I can't tell/don't know!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry, Lowell, about vague reference. I meant earlier and later Lefever Arms guns. For instance, I wouldn't think anyone--manufacturer or restorer--would etch the barrels but blue a bottom or top rib of damascus composition. Later damascus Lefevers give the appearance of having ribs of blued steel so I assume they are blued steel. Obviously, I am not extending this intution to predict what some hack will or will not do to the barrels themselves.

jack

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.