June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (redoak), 308 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,574
Posts546,488
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Has anyone ever found intercepting safety sears to be useful?

Have they ever prevented an accidental discharge for anyone?

Just curious.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think by design you never know if they helped or not. I think they are a fantastic idea.

I wonder if they would keep a gun from doubling due to recoil when a sear is a bit worn?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I really like the idea. However, it's sort of like having a burglar alarm system. You can't prove it prevented a burglary. Same with intercepting sears - can't prove they ever prevented an accidental discharge.

Unless the intercepting sear is worn also they should prevent doubling. The way they work is that unless the trigger is pulled the hammer doesn't fall.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Perhaps I'm wrong, but wouldn't a hammer that has been caught by a safety sear have to be reset (aka cocked)?

I thought safety sears worked by catching a hammer that has been jarred out of its trigger sear notch (if that's what that thing is called).

Pics:

http://www.hallowellco.com/intercepting_sear.htm

Thanks

OWD

Last edited by obsessed-with-doubles; 01/12/12 12:16 PM.

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

The only gun I have ever had fire on closing was an LC Smith with a very light rear trigger. I don't recall that they have intercepting sears.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Now I've confused myself:

I just went and looked at these pics:

http://www.hallowellco.com/sidelock%20definition.htm

And now I'm not sure how the safety sear works. I thought the safety sear intercepted a hammer that had slipped the trigger notch. But in some of the pics above, it looks like the safety sear is designed to keep the hammer from slipper the trigger notch unless the trigger is actually pulled.

Can someone clear this up for me?

I know different makers used different styles of intercepting safety sears, but I thought they all worked on the same principle.

Thanks

OWD

Last edited by obsessed-with-doubles; 01/12/12 12:54 PM.

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: obsessed-with-doubles
Has anyone ever found intercepting safety sears to be useful?

Have they ever prevented an accidental discharge for anyone?

Just curious.

OWD

I hope they haven't found intercepting sears to be useful.

Have they prevented AD's? I am pretty sure that's an affirmative.

Personally, I think the boxlock designers could have taken a lesson from Mr. Browning and borrowed the safety notch in the hammer that is on a 1911 Colt.

Milt,
No intercepting sears on a LC. No safety notch on the hammers either.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: obsessed-with-doubles
Now I've confused myself:

it looks like the safety sear is designed to keep the hammer from slipper the trigger notch unless the trigger is actually pulled.

I think your confusion is cleared up.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah- you have to pull the trigger. The intercepting sear is essentially a second sear that is released only when the trigger is pulled.

If the sear happens to release (say if you fall and the gun is jarred) the interceptor will prevent the tumble from moving but you needn't recock. If you then pull the trigger it will release the safety sear and the gun will discharge.

OWD- those pix you found are enlightening. The external hammer gun does not have an interceptor sear.

The close-up of the bar-action shows the interceptor very well. The double stub pointing out at you near the right of the lock has two parts: one for the sear and the other for the interceptor and both need to be lifted by the trigger action to fire the gun.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

OK. But look at the first image on this link again:

http://www.hallowellco.com/intercepting_sear.htm

It looks like that sear is designed to catch the hammer if it slips the trigger notch.

I've also seen hammers with two notches in them - one for the trigger sear, the other for the safety sear.

That's why I'm confused.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.